Home Forum Ask A Member Bad coil

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

So if mine is not a wico, then what type is it? Pfelon? Are there any replacements? Alternatives? Could you use a same type coil for a twin cylinder? Jump one plug wire to the other at the coil or just cut the 2nd wire at the coil? I have this champion and a handitwin that are really nice and a couple of not so nice engines I could try swapping coils but they are twin cylinders

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
      Participant

US Member

Well I did some research and bought a good multimeter (well $20 if that’s good lol) with a needle. Checked the coil on the little champion , and it said it was good. I went over everything one more time an found some bad insulation on the kill switch wire. I rewired everything and checked the condenser (which was good) put it all back together and put gas in and tried to start. About the 4th pull she fired up! Now I need to see if I can figure out what the carb settings should be. It’s got two levers and a knob at the bottom of the float bowl. It sneezed a time or two, I may need to clean it good. Even with my research I still don’t know which type of coil I’m dealing with. It’s the dark brown round one. Anyway maybe someone with similar problems can read this and know not to just write the coil off just because their not getting fire

It's a jungle out there.

jcrigan
        Participant

That looks like an Americn Bosch magneto. Several other brands use this same magneto. Any coil you can fit in there without rubbing problems with the flywheel will work. You may have to grind down the laminations to fit the new coil. By the way, great you got it running.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.