Home Forum Ask A Member BIG old Johnson twin 20’s-30’s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

Newbie member here…..but have been collecting these things off/on for 20 years… Gotta’ BIG old Johnson opposed twin, probably half again bigger than my ’32 OA-60 3 hp….but basically the same design, except no "tailpipe" coming out of the round muffler going down….just has holes in the bottom in a circular pattern. Here’s the weird part…I’ve never been able to find the model # listed anywhere. Flywheel is nice and clean and very legible. Serial number is 89006, and the model number is 660. No letter, nothing. Script on top of the flywheel is much like the OA-60 also. Not that it makes any difference, but it’s free, and all there (except for the tiller handle….someone has replaced that with a Model T Ford e-brake lever…!) and in nice shape, but has no tank decals.

Anyone have any ideas that this is? Thanks for any input.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can you post a picture or two?

twostroke
        Participant

Lemme’ see….I have an (old) website and server space….but no editing software anymore. I can email a pic easily.

twostroke
          Participant

Flywheel view

Attachments:

twostroke
            Participant

Rear view. Note how much bigger it is than the J-series Ruddertwin next to it…..

Attachments:

twostroke
              Participant

Side

Attachments:

stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well,I don’t think it’s a P30 or P35.At least the lower unit isn’t.It doesn’t have the slot in the cavitation plate for the equalizer(vertical fin)

lyks2tinkr
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am by far no early Johnson expert but the tank looks like it from an S or V model to me.
                    Can’t explain the 660 on the rope plate.
                    The serial number puts it in the 1928 model year according to the Old Outboard book.

twostroke
                    Participant

Thanks! I never was even able to find that….but that places it before bankruptcy in the early ’30’s. I’d often wondered whether it was a "bitsa-this, bitsa-that" bankruptcy special, or a half-finished prototype that got away. It came from an estate in WI.

Jim

spike
                      Participant

Manifolds look to be from a 1927 K35 6 hp. (I need a pair!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.