Home Forum Ask A Member BIG old Johnson twin 20’s-30’s

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

It SHOULD be a K-40 from the size – but I am no Johnson expert . . .
      😕

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is the serial number stamped into the crankcase somewhere? It was stamped near the bottom of the crankcase on the smaller motors.
        It would be a good way to see if the rope plate belongs to that motor.

twostroke
        Participant

The serial number IS stamped into the very bottom of the powerhead, and it is the same as on the rope plate.
          Obviously I can’t measure it, but I can see no differences between my motor and this one:

http://www.ahlstrandmarine.com/products … -1927.html

Weird.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

chris-p
          Participant

I think garry hit it on the head with K40.

Cannot explain the rope plate though.

adam1961
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

This might be a mix of parts. The gear foot looks like P-35 or later, buy the exhaust manifolds are P-30. The P-30 had smooth "runners" from the port to the round part of the casting. The P-35 got cooling fins. The prop looks big to me…bigger than a K. Could be a P-40 with older manifolds.

twostroke
              Participant

Olde Pig ran today. Not very well, but it ran. Needs some love, but lotsa’ compression and a good hot spark. Looking at a K-35 I bought recently…..that’s what it is. I’d love to hear it’s story….and the non-existant model number explained. It’ll be at the Byron, MI swap meet next week.

Jim

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

It would have to be a K-40, not big enough to be a P-40 – REALLY BIG would be a TR-40 . . . 😆

james-davis
                  Participant

Looks like my K-40 1928

Randy in Tampa
                    Participant

what are the casting numbers on the cylinders? Looks like a K 40 but could be a P 40? 😉

twostroke
                      Participant

Where are the casting numbers on the cylinders? I’ve pretended to look on that and my legit K-35 and aren’t seeing any. Side by side pics-one is this goofy ‘Model 660’…the other is my very unmolested ‘survivor’ K-35. Other than the Model T Ford brake handle tiller and the replacement copper fuel line….to this idiot, they look the same. Pay no attention to the background….I have a real soft spot for 5 1/2 CD’s…

As always, thanks for any help!

Jim

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.