Home Forum Ask A Member Big Twin Starter Motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    boscovius
    Participant

Ok fella’s.
      I’ve been meticulously refurbishing my 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 and I seem to have hit a bump in the road. It’s a model 25028. While I know that year didn’t come outfitted with a starter motor and bracket, they can be put on, as mine is equipped as such. The starter it came to me with is an Autolite MAK 4033M 5K and it passed away many years ago so I stopped using the boat, but I kept the starter for reference. Since I’ve been restoring her, my wife thought it would make a nice Christmas present to get me a new starter, so she asked me what I needed. I looked up the nearest year that model had electric start (1958) on Marine Engine dot com and came up with the ARCO 5376. The problem is I don’t know how this is supposed to fit. The original (to me) starter is approx 3" diameter while the new ARCO is about 2 1/4" It has the same number of teeth in the gear that engages the flywheel, but I don’t understand how I’m supposed to make it fit the bracket.

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by boscovius.
      dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

If you look up a 1957 electric start model RJE you will see just before they list the Arco replacement starter you refer to #5376 there is a kit #175019 which is a starter & bracket assy. This is on MarineEngine.com. You will need that bracket to hold the smaller starters of today. Not saying you can’t find one on eBay or at a meet. You might try "Free Advertise" on our site? They are out there.

Dan in TN

boscovius
        Participant

Thanks Dan. I saw that starter and bracket kit and assumed it was the same bracket. Marine Engine wants $312.09 for the bracket alone and $186.25 for the bracket and the starter. What the heck? I’ll have to see if they’ll do an exchange with me andjust shell out the extra. Thanks again for helping me make a little sense of this.

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

Here’s a used one for $79.99 and free shipping:
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-JOHNSON-E … 1O&vxp=mtr

boscovius
            Participant

Thanks Lindy46, but I really want to put new on it if at all possible.

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

Interesting. My old Autolite book says that 4033 starter is for ’54-’55 25hp. It’s 6-volt. Maybe that’s why it passed away ? The original starter for the ’57 (and ’58-’59 35-hp, and ’58-’60 18-hp) was MDO4002M, maybe there is a modern-day equivalent ?

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member

Probably Chinese

https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-EVINRUDE … B015D28N94

retiredoz
                  Participant

US Member

Presumably this would work too, even cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-FOR-OM … 1145796309

lindy46
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote Boscovius:

Thanks Lindy46, but I really want to put new on it if at all possible.

Those old Autolite starters are very reliable and have never given me any problems on the numerous 50’s and 60’s motors I’ve had. And I’m all for keeping these old outboards all original.

boscovius
                      Participant

I got in touch with Marine Engine. Fortunately it was 30 days to the day and I was still eligible for a return. I sent the starter back. I still plan to get the upgraded bracket and new starter. I’ll update this post to let you know how it all works out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.