Home Forum Ask A Member Big Twin Starter Motor

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

I noticed somewhere one seller of modern 12V starters stated the bracket may have to be drilled and tapped to accept their replacement starter. The diameter must be the same but the bolt spacing must be different.

boscovius
      Participant

I’ve read that and I’ve read that the new starter bolted right up to a vintage bracket. I guess the only way forward is to start eliminating possibilities.

boscovius
        Participant

I have received the 203944 bracket and it has two sets of bolt holes. One pair at 2 1/2 inches on center and the other at 2 1/4 inches. I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Arco 5376 (again) lol. We’ll see if it fits this bracket. I suspect it will. In the meantime, I’ve also made arrangements for a reputable fellow to service my old starter. Doesn’t hurt to have a spare. Probably next thing I’ll be looking at is doing a carburetor rebuild. I’ll check back in when the starter comes to let you all know how it fits. Then maybe we can put this one to rest.

bobw
          Participant

US Member

I can verify the Arco 5376 will fit your bracket and use the 2-1/2″ bolt spacing.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

boscovius
            Participant

Thank’s bobw.

I appreciate the confirmation.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.