Home Forum Ask A Member bunch of bad chineese pumps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just FYI… tried to get a nice 10hp Evinrude going this week (modified it last winter for a pump on a plate) everything looked dandy …good compression .. started on a second pull with choke

died after a 10 second run with a short RPM increase.

no reason to do so yet it did several tries later I pull the carb and checked it out . perfect

silly thing started to run while hand pumping it

I loaded the carb with fuel got it going and pulled the fuel line to the carb….and no fuel was getting pumped out to replenish the carb 🙁

put in a new square pump… same thing

both pumps look fine except they leak air if I do a directional flow test OUT to IN and I could hardly get any of no air IN to OUT

I had noticed this last winter when I checked my 5 new arrivals at $6.99 CDN each !!!

conclusion… 99% certain I got a bad bunch of pumps and will be modifying with a nice round B&S pump with a pulse nipple on the cover plate instead . At least I know th B&S pump passes the directional blow test

opened both up looks perfect….they have metallic check valves that seem to work yet they leak air … almost like the layer gaskets aren’T doing their job of sealing the various sections.

i’ll try to fin d my purchase history and feedback to the seller. 🙁

IMG_0105

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
      James Calamon
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Where did you purchase your bad pumps.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry, joe…you no like pump long time?

All that matters to them is that they are slowly, methodically, putting every factory in this country (and Canada) out of business. And we fall for it, every single time.

Long live American manufacturing!

2 users thanked author for this post.
          crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ordered the pumps from AMAZON feb 21 5x$6.99 One member suggested they leaked but would probably seal up when BOLTED solid which added 2 more bolts on the corners

but I had no fuel pumped out.

ok at $7 each not a big loss but I wrote the seller to express my opinion maybe he will come around and send 5 pumps from his good stock …

In any event I’ll go B&S which passes the blow test 100% and mounts just as well

all I need is the extra nipple /hose to the bypass cover..available on a 10hp done it before on a 7.5hp see picture…using the modified air pulse nipple behind the carb.

7.5-Hp-Dec-2013-019

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.
            • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
            seakaye12
            Participant

For one thing…..there are TWO versions of that style pump. (The black one in the post above this one)

There is another version that uses screws to hold the thing together.

I would definitely suggest that you use the screw version.

I have a couple of the un-screw models…..and they pop apart within a few minutes of running.

Interestingly …..the “Genuine” Briggs pumps sold for $40 at mower shops have the Briggs logo on them and are the Un-Screwed version. Not good!

Chuck

Fuel-Pump3

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by seakaye12.
              outboardnut
              Participant

Can a person use a Briggs pump on a 1958 big twin 35 hp?

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

thanks for heads up on the pumps I’ll look into it I noticed one of them actually said MIKUNI printed in the back … they may not be all junk but certainly look-a likes.

the one I installed did not seem to break apart (no feed back on the owner of the sold motor)

Mumbles
                  Participant

So Crosby, was it just the one pump which was bad or did you try all of them? Reason I’m asking is because I’ve installed three of them now on 6 and 9.9 horse motors without any problems, yet.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well initially they all failed the blow test which I identified to the seller back in March 21 at $6.99 I told seller I was keeping them assured that I could work out the leak bugs .

I opened a few and found noting wrong in the check valves and bolted everything up till I tried to run my 10hp d

I tried a second brand new pump and same problem ( blow test failed and no fuel) . I inspected my conversion job on the bypass cover and all OK I had even sealed the aluminum mounting plate on the polished bypass cover.

seller wrote back thanking me for my feedback which they would send to the manufacturer….:-( no offer of replacement or refund . I wrote back asking….for such

I did not mount all 5 pumps expecting no change in performance

see intial message to seller back in March ..
                      first.. I am keeping my purchased items. 🙂
                      just curious…. Normally fuel pump pass fuel from IN to OUT to test these pump good test is to blow air IN to OUT then recheck if the pump can…. or allows air to flow in the reverse direction OUT to IN your pumps pass air OUT to IN but they should not allow this. any reason why ??
                      I can fix this anyway 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.
                      fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry, joe…you no like pump long time?

All that matters to them is that they are slowly, methodically, putting every factory in this country (and Canada) out of business. And we fall for it, every single time.

I’m with you Bill….That price is just too good to be true…. I suppose the original fault is with OMC/BRP for charging so much for these things which just invited the chinese invasion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.