Home Forum Ask A Member Cable/ Drum steering .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Getting ready to purchase cable and springs . Any sources for springs that y’all can steer me towards ?
      One question .. The original pulleys are the small brass ones but What I mostly see out there are the larger plastic pulleys ..
      Any reason not to use the brass ones ? They all are in great shape . Would the smaller pulleys slow the system down ?
      Thanks .

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Brass pulleys are OK for an authentic restoration, I guess. But the small diameter is not too friendly with plastic-coated tiller cable.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Look out for any pulleys that are riveted/swaged together and can pull apart. Those kind are what gives cable steering a bad name. Likewise, do not wood-screw them to the boat. Thru-bolt them.

Samuel Phelps
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was thinking on using stainless uncoated cable .
            Know of any disadvantages of that?

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How big is the motor?

Samuel Phelps
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

22.5 hp Speeditwin

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I was thinking on using stainless uncoated cable .

Know of any disadvantages of that?

You mean like sailboat rigging stuff? Completely out of my realm.

Samuel Phelps
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like this or thicker . https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-32-in-x-200-ft-Stainless-Steel-Uncoated-Wire-Rope-810060/204471269
                    Here are the brass pulleys. The U shaped clips were screwed into solid thick wood under the gunnel cap with 1-1/4’’ wood screws .

D2796496-E80D-43DE-A1BD-B59EC3BD269F

The hull of my boat is probably 3/8’ cold molded veneer plywood . I hate the thought of a through bolt through the side of that but definitely want to be safe .

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’d use the hardware you have.If it doesn’t work like you’d hoped,you can easily change it.As others said,you should through bolt the the main attachment points.Sometimes you can bolt through a frame and avoid going through the hull.

amuller
                      Participant

If you use the type of SS wire rope with many fine strands, as used for halyards on sailboats, etc, it would normally be OK. But those sheaves look small to me. You can look up the minimum sheave diameter on line.

Do you want to use this hardware for authenticity, or just because you have it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.