Home Forum Ask A Member Cable/ Drum steering .

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Authenticity and because I have it .. . I still need to get 2 more pulleys and the springs . I picked up 1/8” ss cable , ferrules , and ss clamps …
      The cable fits the pulleys I have pretty well …

russonz
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Stainless cable around a small pulley sheave will fail at some point due to metal fatigue, but running at a small angle there’s not so much of a problem. You can look up recommended sheave sizes for whatever diameter cable you are using. We run race boats so I know this is a crucial factor in steering setup. The best cable to use is Dyneema, an extremely durable synthetic which is stronger than steel and stretches less. Plastic coated steel cable is the worst to use in my opinion.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

You mentioned springs. I’ve used the kind commonly sold with screen /storm door closers that go with the safety chain. These were more common 20 or 30 years ago. They look the same as the boat steering springs, not sure if the spring tension is the same, but they work for me. Here’s a link:

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/door-window-hardware/storm-door-replacement-parts/wright-products-aluminum-storm-door-safety-chain/96093007-100/p-1444432015818-c-7567.htm?tid=-4894228662016269081&ipos=49

You will probably find 3 or 4 similar types at hardware retailers.
          Dave

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by outbdnut2.
          • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by outbdnut2.
          Samuel Phelps
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Russonz , I will check into the Dyneema .
            outbdnut2 , I think I actually have a set of those springs in the garage if I can find them .. My only concern is I live in Fl near the water . Everything rust ….
            So ss is preferable unless I have no other choice.

amuller
            Participant

Dyneema is a brand for lots of stuff, but most is based on Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMwPE). This is really strong stuff, competitive with Kevlar and suchlike. Maybe russonz could post info on how to tie it off in this application. The only concern I would have, especially in Florida, is deterioration in sunlight. Is there a way to tell when it’s needing replacement?

You could also use airplane tailwheel springs, but likely screen door springs would be easier to find if less quality controlled.

Samuel Phelps
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a question about my steering bezel . There is a lever on the side which I presume is a forward reverse lever . I also have a push pull type cable set up that I guess is for the throttle.
                With the Speeditwin having no neutral/ reverse could the lever on the steering bezel be used for the timing lever on the motor somehow ?

2D22720D-BD1E-4266-815A-18F80D65B9E0

russonz
                Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Regarding tying off Dyneema. For race boat use our regulations say it must be double clamped but for recreational use I would use a half hitch and a single ss clamp. Alternatively I have used it as in photo of Dyneema on a small boat I own. Regarding sun damage it is uv protected. Here in New Zeland we have very high levels of uv due to our geographical position, much higher than Florida and it’s performing well. I think uv damage would become apparant on the outer layer long before the inner layer strength could be affected. I like it.

IMG_20190711_172112

Samuel Phelps
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What size rope is that ? 1/4” ?
                    And are the clamps under the twine ? Reg cable type clamp ?

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.