Home Forum Ask A Member Capacitor tester box

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The last Outboarder had a good article by William Mohat on how to build a capacitor test box.

I went ahead and built the simpler version out of the 3 suggested in the article and then proceded to test by “used caps” box contents . All showed failure on the (red) idiot lamp.

Testing involved voltages around 270 VDC generated from a voltage doubler using a couple of diodes, , .22uf caps , resistors and a main DPDT switch

I tried a brand new capacitor worried my test box was a bit overly critical … the new capacitor passed the test with 100 % success with the FAIL lamp staying dark.

The box cost me about 70$ CDN … a lot more than several new caps some would say but it was a fun , easy project to build and I can now be 100% when testing caps

no more swapping/junking caps for nothing 🙂

thanks for the article Mr.Mohat

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Crosbyman,
        Can you referance the post by William? I’ve had fun with diodes too.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by jeff-register.
        crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It was not a post it was a detailled AOMCI “OUTBOARDER” article with circuit layouts for 3 models of the tester.

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Crosbyman!!

olcah
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Crosbyman,
              I assume the Antique Outboarder magazine that you refer to is the October 2020 edition. Bill Mohat discusses condenser testers on pages 40 and 41 but darned if I can see the circuit layout for his home built neon tester (or any other). Can you set me straight? Where did you find the circuit layout?
              Thank you.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Actually… if you read real closely, mr. Mowat invites (for safety reasons) able “test box builders” to write him a e-mail so he can send you a PDF file with all 3 designs.

I built the fix voltage one (approx 275 VDC with a few simple components). The two other models involve a more complex design and a more costly test box..

The basic model works real well and is recommended by Mr.Mowat . I have already identified a bunch of “presumed good capacitors ” now R.I.P. 🙂

olcah
                Participant

Thanks Crosbyman. I had already requested the PDF from Mr. Mowat but have not got it yet and wondered if I missed something 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by olcah.
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

how long ago did you write him ?? he seems fairly busy so give it some time I have waited a few days for replies 🙂

sorry for confusion I had wrongly remembered seeing the designs in the Outborder but actually wrote to him to get them .

The Boat House
                    Participant

olcah
                      Participant

I emailed Mr. Mowat about 3 weeks ago. If I do not hear from him I will try again after New Years. Good to hear that the tester works so well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.