Home Forum Ask A Member Carl is about to light up another cigar in his coffin….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    rudderless
    Participant

I have read it comes in a 20″ version. Maybe for a bass boat?? ๐Ÿ™‚

bobw
      Participant

US Member

If the first 6 cylinder in-line 100hp Merc was called the Tower of Power, what do you call this thing?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

โ€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.โ€
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m with Carl… what the hey is “Contra” rotating.????!!!!… no credibility with me.

Each engine has two props, that turn in opposite directions. It makes for a tremendous bite on the water. I have always called them counter-rotating. Volvo has had this on their outdrives back into at least the 1990’s and I think they got the idea from torpedoes. I am not sure you guys caught this, but the whole engine doesn’t turn to steer; just the lower unit, which will turn further than a whole engine would turn. Some of our antiques did that, didn’t they?

Long live American manufacturing!

1 user thanked author for this post.
          dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

TWIN TOWER OF POWER !

fifty20ne
            Participant

US Member

EXPENSIVE!

Only $77,000 each plus boat & trailer!

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/fishing-boating/2021/02/11/mercury-marine-unveils-innovative-new-outboard-engine-v-12-600-hp-verado-has-steerable-gearcase/4410659001/

Scan06

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by fifty20ne.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by fifty20ne.
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Surely looks impressive, sure hope they tested the heck out of em…. There is no test that can quite match consumer testing unfortunately…

rudderless
                Participant

Surely looks impressive, sure hope they tested the heck out of em…. There is no test that can quite match consumer testing unfortunately…

…I think ya mean consumer abuse! ๐Ÿ˜‰

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was thinking exactly the same thing. A point well taken, from a former OMC guy!

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was thinking exactly the same thing. A point well taken, from a former OMC guy!

Yeah, if OMC couldn’t make it, then I hope Merc does….

Evinrude 25
                      Participant

It is a dual Tower of Power! Two Tower of Power joins together at the hip.
                        How fast do you estimate if put it on my 18′ aluminum boat? Should I order the short shaft version? If it is not available, should the standard shaft version be fine with and a jack plate installed?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Evinrude 25.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.