Home Forum Ask A Member Chrysler/West Bend 6hp vs 9.2/9.6 lower unit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    need2fish
    Participant

I have 3-6 hp Chrysler/West bend made twins from the mid-60s (one 6hp branded as Chrysler, one 5hp branded as Viking and another 5hp branded as Montgomery Ward).

They all have cracked lower units — it appears to be a design weakness where throwing the motor into reverse at anything other than low rpm causes the rear bearing and propshaft to hit the rear bearing carrier so hard it causes the L/U to crack around the channel that contains the circlips holding the rear bearing carrier in place.

I’ve come across a Kijiji ad for what the seller says is a 9.6 hp with pics showing a L/U similar to mine. I’m willing to pay the $ to use the L/U to resurrect one of mine. (https://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-trailer-accessories/winnipeg/9-6-hp-viking-boat-motor/1314333746?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

I have 2 questions:
      1) Does anyone know if there was L/U interchangeability between the 5/6 hp and any 9.x ?
      2) Has anyone encountered the same cracking problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks to any and all opinions offered !

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

may I suggest a move to OMC products 🙂

as the saying goes….you never have a second chance to give a good first impression…

my first outboard purchase 50 years ago was a 5hp Viking from Eaton’s ….never liked it and 2 years later Eaton’s took it back on warranty… yep they took it back because I agreed to traded up to a Merc 9.8 when Eaton,s were selling Mercury outboards.

Years went by and I got a 20 a 50 a 45 merc all great motors !

Now I have gone BRP ETEC 75hp since 2005 with restored oldies as kickers… just in case . in 50 years of boating I never got stuck anywhere or had to be towed….but I rowed a bit 😀

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Had 2 West bends on a go cart in the 60’s, All Merc’s after that. A guy gets hooked on them!

amuller
          Participant

I have an Elgin (Sears) 7.5 made by West Bend showing the same failure mode. The gearcase has been substituted, and a weld bead run around the rear of the housing where that one also apparently had a failure of the rear bearing retention. The gearcase where it mates to the leg has a slightly different shape but the combination seems to work mechanically. Of course the gear ratios could be different and I haven’t checked that out yet. Of course, this doesn’t answer your question directly. Many people have gotten good service from these motors…..

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

For whatever it’s worth, my Old Outboard Manual lumps the 6 and and the 9.2 together. Still doesn’t guarantee interchangeability, but then again, Chrysler didn’t like to change things, either…

b-dittmar
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

There are some differences in those gear cases they can have different drive shafts and shift rod’s. but I a fairly certain that the bottom half of the gear case will interchange.
                The reason they blow out there is from freezing with water in them not from shifting.
                The motor in the add can’t be a 9.6 I bet it’s a 9.2hp.

brian
                Participant

I’ve worked on several of those. Water intrusion around the shift shaft claimed many of them. The guts of the gearcase worn beyond repair. Of the dozen or so I’ve had, about half of them had gearcase failure due to water. One good gearcase I left the bottom drain plug out when I put it away so it wouldn’t freeze. It’s still good but I take no chances on it freezing. I’ve not been able to get the seals to seal correctly on them.

Mumbles
                  Participant

I’m not sure if this helps or not but here’s a PDF on the 5 1/2 – 9 HP Benders.

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

This is Chrysler’s 8 horse Sea King . . .

How close in it ? ? 😕

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.