Home Forum Ask A Member Commercial or Military Outboard?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kevinrude
    Participant

Greetings,

I received the attached pictures of what appears to be a 1950s era Johnson outboard that has been heavily modified for a specific use. I’m not entirely sure what it is, although speculation says maybe some kind of commercial or military motor?? Has anyone ever seen something like this before? Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,
      Kevinrude

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

what happened to this thread? There had been several comments about the motor, now I see only the pix ?

Joe B

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Yep, some kind of OMC abortion, for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised to find a Wankel lurking under that hood. Just speculating.

outboardnut
          Participant

US Member

What Hp is it suppose to be?

Mumbles
            Participant

I thought US forces used motors like this in the late 60’s and they were based on ’54-’55 era Johnson RD’s?

joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think a US Navy application. The “all sealed” powerhead might indicate an use such as the motors that were packaged with large inflatable life rafts. looks like good ole’ Navy gray paint under the green.
                Should be some “Uncle Sam” ID tag , or the remnants of the rivets from one somewhere.

Joe B

labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Kevin, where did you find that baby? It has a early 10 hp or 18hp five bolt OMC leg/gear housing (6 screws in the clam gear case) for sure. It looks like a pressure cooker for a hood. Wonder what color it was when new. Nice find!

dale

kevinrude
                  Participant

Not my motor, actually. Somebody found me on the internet and emailed me some pictures asking what kind of motor it was……….

trex014
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Has anyone learned any more information about this motor?

I saw it was at Constantine last summer, wasn’t able to figure out who owned it.

I happened to find a 7.5hp version in Kansas and shipped it to Ohio. Got it running and displayed it at a handful of meets last summer/fall. I will be dragging it everywhere I can to display again this year.

I am very interested in learning more about the history of this motor.

Screenshot_20240403_222152_Gallery
                      Screenshot_20240403_222158_Gallery
                      Screenshot_20240403_222217_Gallery
                      Screenshot_20240403_222813_Gallery

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That project must have cost us taxpayers a bundle.  I wonder how many ( how few ) were produced, at a unit cost of $$$$

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.