Home Forum Ask A Member Converting OMC 5.5/7.5hp gearcase to ’58 10hp Gearcase

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote Chris_P:

I am converting a 5.5/7.5hp OMC gearcase to be used with a 1958 10hp Johnson (never did have a gearcase for this motor). I realize the shift rod will need to be changed, but what about the drive shaft? I know they have different part numbers, but not sure if that is simply because the 5.5/7.5hp shaft has the hole drilled in it for the carbon seal assembly. Im wondering, if I pull the pin and use it, do the crank splines differ? Cannot think off hand, and Im sure someone on here has done this.

OK, well the driveshafts are definitely different and can not be interchanged. The prop shafts are different as well, leaving the old prop shaft in place and using the 7.5hp prop will result in over revving.
      In 1958, the gearcase housings for the 5.5/7.5/10hps were the same, but not necessarily so in later years. You will need to change the upper bushing/seal housing as well…
      In short, try to find a complete serviceable 10hp gearcase!

beerman57
      Participant

I have the gears, etc. But the housing wasn’t worth keeping.

Mumbles
        Participant

A 9.5 gearcase can be used.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

yes, but the driveshaft and shift rod still have to be changed…

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I own a nice Green Johnson 10hp lower unit with good gears & shafts. Send me an E mail to Jeff.50@cox.net.. I’ll send any photos you need to match it up. I’m in the book in Arizona.
              I have no idea what it is worth but I have no use for it. If you need it it’s yours for a very reasonable price.
              Jeff Register

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jeff
                That green 10hp gearcase is the larger style gearcase (unless someone repainted it green), it won’t fit on the 58 10hp with the smaller exhaust housing /gearcase….
                A very kind offer though!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.