Home Forum Ask A Member Did have only one cylinder firing, now have neither

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Asa, I feel that you have points that are not making good contact, thus my previous suggestion. Even new points have that problem, especially aftermarket ones. They have an invisible non-conducting "stuff" on the contacts. They may erratically break through and fire a couple of times, but may not fire at all. Clean them…..

chris-p
      Participant

^^^^Again, what he said 😉

mr-asa
        Participant

Fairly sure I have another points set or two in my tupperware of treats. I will dig them out, clean them, then swap the ones in there out this weekend.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so now you have no spark on both cylinders? Are you sure the coil air gaps are set properly? Are you sure the flywheel key, keyways are in good shape? Chafed ignition primary leads/grounds? I’m sure someone has already asked about making sure the coils are connected to the proper set of points.
            I didn’t think this engine had a stop switch, but had to ask.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Make sure you have the proper set of points wired to the coils. It is possible the points are breaking180 degrees away from the flywheel magnets.

. . . . . . 😉

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mr. Asa,
                I FAIL to understand why the capacitor is not checked for leakage not a static test. Just because a meter to test is not available does not requirement. I’m sorry & do not to be mean but without a correct CAP it willnot function & the MAGNETO will not function. I’m SORRY to bust your bubble but EVERYTHING MUST FUNCTION!! Chances are the coils & caps both have failed. Sorry
                Best,
                Jeff

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

P.S.
                  Mr.Asa I too have had problems with magnetos not being grounded to the engine. Actually you have two complete magneto systems & two GROUNDS.
                  If one mag is not grounded the energy made will travel into the other mag system. TRY THIS: Run a small ground wire from the bottom of the mag plate & take the other end to the block somewhere & try that. My Mercury KF5 had new everything & would not fire. It needed a ground wire & now it runs perfictly. Think about it. THE PLUG MUST be grounded>
                  Jeff

mr-asa
                  Participant

quote Jeff Register:

Mr. Asa,
                    I FAIL to understand why the capacitor is not checked for leakage not a static test. Just because a meter to test is not available does not requirement. I’m sorry & do not to be mean but without a correct CAP it willnot function & the MAGNETO will not function. I’m SORRY to bust your bubble but EVERYTHING MUST FUNCTION!! Chances are the coils & caps both have failed. Sorry
                    Best,
                    Jeff

I’m sorry, that was a little confusing, could you clarify?

wedgie
                    Participant

Did you remember to put the magneto cam back in ? 😆 been there 😳

Randy in Tampa
                      Participant

Evan, we need to get together and you need to bring that motor over here so I can go through it with you, it might be a couple weeks I’ll try give you call tomorrow

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.