Home Forum Ask A Member Early 50’s Lauson Sportking 3hp 4-stroke

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Orange_Crush
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m looking at buying a little lauson 3hp motor for a canoe, but there’s a few things holding back my wallet. The main advantage is that it’s priced appropriately and I wouldn’t cry much losing that, and it comes with some spare bits. The main problem is that it’s currently dismantled down nearly into individual pieces (see pic), which on the mechanical side isn’t intimidating at all (been fixing and tuning everything from snowblowers to V8’s for years.. except outboards), but raises a few flags and brings in the potential problem of how many hours this might demand from me. Seller says all things needed to put it back together are present (“with all the hardware, new oil seals, lower end and gas tank. Piston, block and all has been cleaned, valves lapped etc.”), though lacking a manual/diagrams I have no way of verifying that, or that he didn’t run into a bigger problem somewhere and is looking to unload it. In this thread Buccaneer mentioned a pdf manual, if anyone has that or a few diagrams and is willing to share so I could check/confirm the part count I’d appreciate it. Further, if I do decide to go with this insane project purchase and re-assemble it.. without a full service manual I don’t know torque specs or timing/tuning procedures and replacement parts of any kind seem pretty hard to find, so if there’s anything I should be looking for or checking in particular on an engine of that vintage that can’t reasonably be repaired or replaced on it (that would make it a better anchor than motor) I’d be grateful for the knowledge. Alternately, should I just run away entirely? Advice appreciated, cheers!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Orange_Crush. Reason: typo
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I have the pdf file, but it’s 58 mb’s. I can’t post it here and I can’t
        email a file that big. Possibly I could upload it to “We Transfer”,
        and you could download it.
        PM me your email address if interested.

It’s a little “oddball” working on being a 4cyl outboard, and it
        has a cute little oil pump. Sounds like you’d be able to tackle
        the job.

Prepare to be boarded!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Orange_Crush
        Participant

Hello Buccaneer, apologies for the mis-spelling of your name in the first post. I would greatly appreciate having a look at the pdf,PM sent! If it’s all really as complete/only in need of assembly as the seller is suggesting I’ll likely pick it up and see what a weekend of work can accomplish.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

File sent via WeTransfer. Have fun!

Prepare to be boarded!

JOHN HOLBIK
            Participant

A few years ago I was given one .It was January with 3 feet of snow on the ground and 20 degrees below zero I had the motor on a stand and it was happily idling away being air cooled.A friend stopped by on his snow mobile and was laughing out loud he said it was the first time he ever saw an outboard motor running in a snow storm.they idle real slow but are loud as hell.

Joe Mott
              Participant

just my opinion but seeing the work you have ahead of you and the fact theres a lot of other sweet little restorable outboards out there, id keep shopping. i had a similar one and like said they are rattle traps to say the least and just look like they should be on a lawn mower to me LOL. but good luck with whatever you do

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

File sent via WeTransfer. Have fun!

Buc I just sent you a PM

Chuck

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

just my opinion but seeing the work you have ahead of you and the fact theres a lot of other sweet little restorable outboards out there, id keep shopping. i had a similar one and like said they are rattle traps to say the least and just look like they should be on a lawn mower to me LOL. but good luck with whatever you do

Unless you’re like me and just like to tinker on something “unique” once in a while
                    just for the challenge, lol

Prepare to be boarded!

Orange_Crush
                    Participant

This is basically the route I ended up going – I do love some gas-scented tinkering, but I’d like to get one in the water more in this case, the summer weeks are fleeting and few. Didn’t get too far into asking questions about the Lauson before I found a little ’82 Johnson 2hp (with zero compression, I believe it’s the rings) for an even sweeter deal (by the standards of the times), and importantly a local parts dealer. If anybody else in Ontario, Canada is interested in the Lauson motor please PM me for a link to the listing, it’s currently listed for $100 in Toronto for some weeks now.

Buccaneer, would you happen to have any documentation for the Johnson/Evinrude/OMC 2hp motors? I’d very much appreciate knowing the connecting rod and head bolt torque specs before I remove them.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Orange_Crush.
                      1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

Orange_Crush

I have no information on said 2 hp Johnsons. They are too new and not in my range of
                        interest of outboards from B.C. to the early 1960’s.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.