Home Forum Ask A Member Early Thor Single

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tom-c
    Participant

I recently purchased an early Thor single. Is there anyplace on this motor to find a model number or serial number? I can’t find anything!

jw-in-dixie
      Participant

The early Wizards had a square tag on the top right (from prop) side of the leg, mostly painted over. Also on flywheel rope sheave. Just a thought.

alanp
        Participant

US Member

Normally stamped in the front of cylinder block. Where the cylinder block meets the crank case. The number is similar to WK-2739.

tom-c
          Participant

The only numbers are these on top of the cylinder.

Attachments:

alanp
            Participant

US Member

Photo of mine. I guess it is on the side.

Attachments:

tom-c
              Participant

Had to scrape a lot of paint, but there it is! Now to figure out a model name/number and year of mfgr.

Attachments:

jcrigan
                Participant

I wonder if yours was a 1939 Streamliner? The numbers W9001-W11000 were 1939 motors.
                  At least that’s what’s in the old outboard book.

Mumbles
                  Participant

I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s a ’39 Sea-King built by Thor for Montgomery-Wards. The ‘S’ kind of throws me off though as the Old Outboard Book says it should have a ‘W’ for Wards or ‘WK’ for Wards-Kiekhaefer for the later ’39 models. This is around the time Elmer was getting involved so maybe he let this one slip out the back door. Does it have the rounded skeg on it? Does it say Thor or Sea-King on the sheave cover? I believe the Streamliner was a ’39 one year motor. Teardrop gas tank?

It’s kind of hard to see but this ’37 Sea-King has the ‘W’ in the serial number.

Attachments:

tom-c
                    Participant

Here’s a pic of the rope shieve and lower unit. I came to me without a tank. So I made a small bracket to fit it with a Handitwin tank.

Attachments:

tom-c
                      Participant

Could only post one pic at a time.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.