Home Forum Ask A Member electrical thoughts…

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Yes, it is an earlier and more complicated system. (Didn’t mean to imply it was the system on my motor.) The manual describes it in some detail, but is less than clear on what motors have it.

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i’m with Don, The frequency is NOT a constant, Higher rpm gives faster crest in wave form, The higher the frequency the smaller the diameter of the arc & the deeper it arcs to ground thru low voltage insulation. Use a O-scope & see. The clipper removes the hi voltage peaks in the waveform, Needed for solidstate app’s. Connections & voltage are critical on all junctions. Try insulating 60Ma @ 60K.V. @ 60htz 😉 Everything works in conjunction,

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jeff surely credits me with too much electrical knowledge! It’s all about KISS for me, that I understand…..

amuller
          Participant
            quote fleetwin:

dkellogg56@gmail.com

Don Kellogg

OK, I’m thinking your manual is not an OEM book, and it describes many different engines/charging systems….The V4 generator alternator systems used up to 1968 were definitely more complicated that what you have on the 72 60hp, I’m guessing your manual is referring to one of these systems….

The manual I’ve been using is posted here (linked on iboats) http://www.lasvegaspix.com/projects/pdf … inrude.pdf. On further checking it may be a bootleg scan of this Seloc Publishing manual: https://www.amazon.com/1958-72-JOHNSON- … B00O3GRBBS

So I guess you are right: not an OEM manual.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The OEM manuals can be hard enough to follow. Some of those independently written manuals try to cover 20yrs of outboards in a single book, the information is often confusing, though not necessarily incorrect.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.