Home Forum Ask A Member Elsgin Sears Elgin 5.5 571.58611

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Ikf you have the motor I think you have, you have to remove the power head, then the steering pivot pin. Below that is a special nut on a long stud that comes all the way up from the gearcase. It requires a special screwdriver to remove it. I wouldn’t bother unless proven necessary.
      I made a sliding vane from Delrin.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by frankr.
      seahuntboater
      Participant

thanks Frank.

I will definitely not be doing that unless absolutely necessary. Now that I know this I will put the carb back on and finish cleaning the tank and making the fuel valve and tank cap work again.

Gear lube? what to use please.

seahuntboater
        Participant

I used motor assembly for the grease. Got it to fire up but…………. can someone tell me the starting number of turns for the idle and high speed screws. I tried 1.25. Also how to set the linkage. I think I put it with the throttle closed.
          thanks
          Ralph

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Usually 3/4 turn on slow speed needle. Most but not all, the slow speed needle works backwards, ie: right for richer, left for leaner (it controls air instead fuel)

seahuntboater
            Participant

thanks frank. Didn’t have it running long enough to get any adjustments. then the pull rope broke. I guess I will try taking that pull start unit apart. It is the kind with the push button. Hopefully the spring does not explode out of there.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.