Home Forum Ask A Member Elsgin Sears Elgin 5.5 571.58611

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Picked this up about a week ago. Got the carb sorted out and the spark too (points were not sliding and were just dirty)

Greetings. Does anybody have a schematic of this motor? I am trying to determine where the impeller is and don’t want to force anything. I opened the gear case and removed the horseshoe clip. Took the nut off the plate also. Seems like it should just slide down now. There is a screw hole on the port side above the cavitation plate that had no screw. Is it broken? I see something still down in there. Also does this take straight grease or the engine assembly grease, etc.

thanks

Ralph

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Does it have neutral clutch, full FNR gear shift, no shift at or what?

seahuntboater
        Participant

Hey Frank,

It has no gear shift or clutch. Just pull and hope she is pointing in the right direction.

retiredoz
          Participant

You have a ’47 5.5-hp, according to my little bible. The closest parts list I have is for a 1950 5-hp, which I strongly suspect used the the same lower. It shows a tall skinny impeller on the lower driveshaft in the vicinity of the cavitation plate. I can email some pics if you want them – this site and I don’t get along , picturewise.

seahuntboater
            Participant

Thanks. you can PM me the Pics of the schematic.I have troubles too with pics. It is the size. Here is a link to the motor and leg pics.
              https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Mr_n-6O7SU6625QaaGkAYQ.B0YnI9CcjtIzoSDze6pLpb
              What is the proper lube? It had grease and a little water.

How to get that cavitation plate to drop to get at that impeller? I have to determine if the screw hole still has a broken screw in it or I am looking at some other metal.

Ralph

Buccaneer
              Participant

46-54-Lower-Units

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                Participant

46-54-Motor-Legs

Prepare to be boarded!

seahuntboater
                  Participant

Thanks Buccaneer. Seems like I have the early direct drive. I still do not see what is holding the cavitation plate and section below it to the leg so I can access the impeller. If you look at my picture you will see the hole I am talking about which is threaded. I do not see this in the drawing view. What does that screw do? It is possible it is broken inside and is holding together the sections? Note that when i removed the horseshoe clip on the prop shaft that the gear slides easily so it is not holding anything.

I am almost there. If you want to communicate better and have the part description of early direct drive that will help so I can name the parts better.

thanks
                    ralph

seahuntboater
                    Participant

If this has the sliding vane impeller is that rubber? if metal then should I even bother worrying about it until I see if water is pumping or not?

What is the gear lube please?

Buccaneer
                      Participant

Thanks Buccaneer. Seems like I have the early direct drive. I still do not see what is holding the cavitation plate and section below it to the leg so I can access the impeller. If you look at my picture you will see the hole I am talking about which is threaded. I do not see this in the drawing view. What does that screw do? It is possible it is broken inside and is holding together the sections? Note that when i removed the horseshoe clip on the prop shaft that the gear slides easily so it is not holding anything.

I am almost there. If you want to communicate better and have the part description of early direct drive that will help so I can name the parts better.

thanks
                        ralph

That forward side fastener that holds the gear case on may be a super long bolt with
                        some type of nut up toward the swivel pin by the transom clamp…. can’t remember
                        for sure, but seems like I’ve “been there, done that”.

The sliding vane impeller is a flat, sliding “carbon” vane, if I remember correctly.
                        I do not believe any of these Elgin’s had a metal impeller.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.