Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Cub coil/magneto substitute question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lagrue
    Participant

Currently rebuilding a barn find Elto Cub. First year, very early serial number.

When I bought it, I had no spark. Cleaned points, checked condenser, all were good. Coil unfortunately tested as failed (open high tension) I could see that the previous owner had done a poor solder job on it…

I’ve found a good Elto Ace coil/magneto I could purchase, but would be a purchase over a distance, so I cannot compare the size to see if it would fit a Cub.

They show as different part numbers, but does anyone know if you can interchange an Ace coil into a Cub?

eltoquad
      Participant

US Member

If only it were that easy!! They are too big. People are altering some type of chain saw coil to use. Don’t know coil info but maybe some one that does will post it.

mikesea
        Participant

I have been looking into coil specs trying to find a listing of coil inside square, plus outside specs. Once we can find the sizes and what will fit then the next step is check the coil pri and sec windings. I think I have seen the Phelon pri and sec wiring specs somewhere? I do know the improvements over a square laminate, to a round laminate is a gain of about 20% with no other changes. That’s why you see round cores being used on motor cycle engines and anything that is pretty new.
          So If we find a square coil make sure that it fits the laminate if lose make shims of magnetic steel to get it snug for best coil performance. That is all I know about it I am sure you guy’s know more about it than me the newbie.
          Mike 😉

lagrue
          Participant

Thanks much Eltoquad. I was afraid of that.

Mike, I’ve been working on that solution for a while. Tried a Merc 4hp coil and just was too big (by .10" even after modifying it). I eventually ruined the coil trying to take off enough insulation to make it fit. Even pushed as small as I could make it, it still did not fit.

I’ve been evaluating chainsaw coils and have a few candidates I’m looking at purchasing. Expensive experiment!

If anyone happens to know the part number of a successfully transplanted chainsaw coil, please post it.

mikesea
            Participant

Go on eBay to save you money on trying coils look on this seller theropshop more coils than you ever wanted to see. Don’t blame me for hours spent looking Like I did Ha Glad to see you are not afraid to cut stuff up.

george-emmanuel
              Participant

US Member

A member in Florida wrote a story about using the Mercury chainsaw coil on the Cub and Mate. We published it in the Outboarder about 2 years ago. E-mail me and I"ll send you the file of the article.

gemmanuel@bellsouth.net and remind me what you are asking for.

George

lagrue
                Participant

Mike, thanks for that reference. Definitely a lot to sort through.

George, thanks for your offer. I’ve sent an email and look forward to your reply!

outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member

One day I decided to go fishing in Silver Lake Wi.
                    But before I launched I decided to grab a burger at the local Dairy Queen
                    While I was rearrange things in the bed of my truck I can hear two guys talking
                    Ron you need a 25 hp like that guy
                    These guys look like fisherman- so called them over and showed them the 1920’s motors I was going to bring to Tomahawk
                    Wouldn’t you know it -the one guy is a member of AOMCI
                    We got to talking and he mentioned that his Father wound coils for a living way back when
                    And he had drawings of the outboard coils
                    I said that might be valuable to the club
                    I told him to send me copies and I will post them on the AOMCI web
                    I really don’t know too much about coil winding but maybe one you could use this info

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/25wG7 … 80-h604-no

mikesea
                    Participant

Biy would that be a great deal to see what the man knows.
                      Awesome I a old friend with a race engine shop and chassis Dyno Norm Brandes owns Westech. He does a lot of engine articles in Hot Rod magazine with another old friend Marlin Davis. I will call him and ask if he has any old outboard contacts.
                      You just never know who knows who …..pays to be polite to everyone. 😉
                      Mike

mike-stroz
                      Participant

Is the Elto Pal mag the same as the Cub? Hopefully I’ll be picking one up this weekend along with a bin of parts, including a complete magneto assembly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.