Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Cub coil/magneto substitute question

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

The magneto on the Cub/Mate is quite a bit
      smaller than the Pal.

I managed to get one of these in a mate but
      just barely having to file off some of the
      cover. As they don’t make this coil anymore
      either its not much of a solution,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esa39Kk7gqo

mike-stroz
      Participant

I was just thinking that I probably didn’t need the spare coil I’m getting, I didn’t realize it was a different size to the Cub. Never seen a Pal and a Cub side by side before, looks like almost everything is different! I thought they’d just tuned or detuned the same engine depending on the model

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Lagrue, the coil that you need is a Disston Mercury D0-100 DO-101 Chainsaw Coil.
          This is what I used on my Cub. Worked well, with a bit of modification. There is one on E bay now. Make sure you read the article from George.
          Bob D

lagrue
          Participant

Thanks much Bob! I talked with George via email today and got the article and some reference pics. I was also able to locate the coil on Ebay and should have it next week.

I still need to finish painting and decals and should be able to move forward getting it running.

lagrue
            Participant

I wanted to extend a thank you to George and Bob D, as well as the others that provided info on this project. 🙂

I procured a Mercury coil as suggested by George and Bob. It arrived this past weekend. Some quality shop time spent on a dreary Sunday afternoon, with their instructions, a grinder and a Dremel yielded a Cub that is sparking – likely for the first time in many decades!

I clearcoated the rest of the motor yesterday after work and am excited to start final assembly!

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Glad to help.
                Get ready to rip up the lake!
                Bob D

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.