Home Forum Ask A Member Evindure 56 CD smokes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

sold this engine a few years ago. Owner still real happy with his kicker but…. he says it smokes quite a bit (uses good oil at 40/1 regardless of my warnings) yet the engine generates excessive smoke and plugs fowl up after a many hours of trolling .

odd that at 40/1 and quality oil it smokes and messes the plugs so much … plugs are NGKB6S

any clues ?

engine is converted to pump with the blocked channel method

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
      RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would ask the owner what brand of oil does he use? TCWII or TCWIII? Synthetic or what? The newer oils are pretty smoke free.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

shell tcw3 ….seems like good quality oil but the next trip will be with pure synthetic oil as a trial. … next would be xd-100 ..with carbon guard as a trial

I have set his plugs to 35 Leroy’s suggest 35-45 may help burn the carbon better …

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
          need2fish
          Participant

Is he using J6C/equivalent plugs ? J4C may be too cold — TCW oils are formulated to generate fewer deposits than “standard” oils, but need a relatively hot plug.

Is there water in the exhaust jacket (as in, where it shouldn’t be)?

Mumbles
            Participant

The CD’s are fairly low compression trolling motors and will smoke on a cold start, just like any two stroke motor will. Excessive smoking while trolling could be caused by too low compression (worn rings), the powerhead running too cold, as in icy water, or the carb being set too rich. These are the most common reasons if the fuel mix is correct. A plugged puddle drain will also contribute to oil fouling of the plugs.

Some owners used to pull in the gear and run the motor at full throttle for a bit to help clear out any excess oil in the motor and burn any carbon buildup off the plugs. Going to a slightly hotter plug can also help prevent fouling if the motor is ran at low speeds for extended times. You don’t mention what year the motor is so I assume it has no thermostat and requires a 16:1 mix. If it is thermostat equipped, it must be installed and working properly or the plugs will foul.

EDIT: Just noticed, it’s a ’56 but not sure if it’s an Evindure or CD.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
              • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
              crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Actually a 1956 Evinrude thanks for insight

i,ll do a compression test asa practical p. I may pull carb and front plate to check the puddle drain. engine has no thermostat that year water is mid 60s to low 70s

chart shows NGK B6S eqv to J8c which is pretty hot I guess

his carb has been set to the best operation possible LS wise since he mostly uses the motor for all day trolling

I won’t be able to feedback for another 2-3 weeks on this so be patient

thanks all

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the smoking won’t be an issue much longer if he keeps mixing at 40:1….

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well… it has been smoking for a few years now with day long trolling… the carbded Honda 40hp takes care of high speed runs. So far, contrary to popular belief it is still running on 40/1

not so bad for a 65 year old kicker . I got it for about 60$CDN refurbished with chineese coils, impeller, pump etc… sold for $150 he his happy.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
                    Mumbles
                    Participant

The sleeve style bearing motors seem to troll on a thinner mix but they won’t like running fast or hard with it at all.

JOHN HOLBIK
                      Participant

At our resort we put J8J in all the motors we rented for fishing that were used for extended tro;;ing.I always sped the motor up to clear excess gas every half hour or so.
                        I do not trust any spark plug manuals from about 1975 up.I have found many inaccurate plug recomendations plus the plugs used to have many different plug numbers to cover specific engines now they spec one plug to cover all engines in a group.
                        I always thought all the pre thermo engines ran J6J that is what my old operators manuals state but new plug manuals say J4J which are far to cold for low speed use.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.