Home Forum Ask A Member Evindure 56 CD smokes

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

J4J’s were usually recommended for the hotter running thermostat equipped motors but all recommended plugs are just a starting point as operating conditions will determine which plug to use. As a motor wears and starts losing compression, hotter plugs such as J8J are usually needed. Full throttle or heavy loads such as water skiing need colder plugs while trolling for long periods will require hotter plugs.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, there is definitely something wrong with this engine…Like others have said, these engines may smoke on start up, but a well tuned unit with a decent powerhead doesn’t smoke much at all once warmed up, even at 16:1. Guess I would start with a compression test, like Mumbles says, and check the crankcase drains also.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if B6S=J8C any issues or concerns if not J8J what is the diff. between J8C and J8J ?

I think the focus will be compression check and purge valve check next time I have access to the motor

aside from the occasional plug swap/clean the engine runs fine

update: googled j8c j8j not much diff. it seems

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by crosbyman.
          Mumbles
          Participant

J8C and J8J are the same heat range. The difference between them is the design of the ground electrode. J8C’s replaced the older J8J’s years ago.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How is the running quality of this engine? Does it start, idle, have normal WOT power? Do the needle adjustments seem in normal range? Perhaps water is getting into the powerhead somehow causing the smoke. You mentioned that this engine has a fuel pump, any chance it is leaking fuel into the powerhead?
              These engines are pretty tolerant to most everything, and continue to run pretty well in spite of wear and other issues….Using a hotter plug seems like a band aid, unless you are running in very cold temperatures, or idle the engine extensively.
              Have you tried a different fuel tank/supply? Perhaps the owner is buying lousy fuel, water is separating out in the bottom of the tank.
              Seems like you sold the engine a few years ago, perhaps it just needs a thorough tune up…

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Fleetwin… all good issues to look into engine runs fine and he loves it.. great trolling kicker purrs al day long ..but smokes a lot he says…I have not witnessed it

as soon as I can leave this stupid city and head off to the cottage I will give the engine serious look into owner runs no ethanol $$ high octane stuff, no cheap oil at 40/1 ! he says !!! against my directive for a minimum of 25/1

water 65-75 F

will do compression test

I will know more and report back when I can lay my hands on it for a few hours.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know it seems counter intuitive, but using high octane fuel in this engine may be a mistake. I’m not referring to “no ethanol”, just high octane. These engines have very low compression and oftentimes were run poorly on high octane fuel. Higher octane fuels have a more controlled burn and burn slower. These low compression engines kind of need more “volatile” lower octane fuel in order to develop a stronger burn in the combustion chamber. Again, I know this seems counter intuitive, but I proved it to myself several years ago with one of my old Fleetwins. I thought I was being smart buying no lead (no ethanol) 91 octane aviation fuel. Mixed up a fresh batch for our first outing…The engine started, but didn’t really idle all that well, and did not develop full power…Was very confused indeed, what could have happened to this engine since the last time I used it? Finally tried Will’s regular fuel mix, the engine idled and picked up a few hundred RPM at WOT. I had a hard time believing this, so brought both tanks for a test ride. Took off on Will’s tank at WOT, then switched to my high octane tank while running, the engine actually lost a few hundred RPM at WOT. Made this swap several more times, not really believing what I was seeing, same results repeated every time I swapped tanks…
                  Hard to believe, but something to consider….

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok testing is in order I guess. obviously something is need to cure this kicker otherwise I suspect the exhaust ports and all will gradually fill up with junk. a strong dose of engine cleaner will be tried with 87 rated fuel . to bad we have no ethanol free except for high octane stuff.

I can lend him lots of options shed is full of oldies TN27, JWs, 4hp, 5.5 golden jubile, 3.9 merc 4hp merc …+ but not enough fishing time and boats 🙂

The Boat House
                    Participant

Might be worth asking what his 40 to 1 is in oz..per. gal.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

taking to me boat house ? 🙂 you are a brilliant man !

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.