Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Fuel pump

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

The motor will get very hot.! Gasoline has a flash point of -45°F and an auto-ignition temperature of 536°F.Dec 11, 2014

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by mercuryman.

The motor would be a lump of molten metal long before the pump got that hot.

All these years, and I thought gasoline was potentially dangerous. And now I find out that it’s not. Good to know.

Gasoline is dangerous when it is in a gaseous state or near oxygen. The motor shown is non thermostat temperature controlled and will always run colder than a motor with a 143° F thermostat in it. The fuel is totally enclosed with no air contact. The pump itself is also self cooling with the flow of fuel thru it so heat transfer shouldn’t be an issue. No problems!

need2fish
      Participant

My ignorance: I can see the in and out fuel lines, and can see the vacuum/pressure line going to the back of the pump, (and not knowing if that age of 5.5 has the mounting boss on the top cyl.) ; where is the pulse coming from ? The reed block ?

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

Is that a copy of the small fuel pump Tillotson used to make?
          Dave

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

typically the pulse comes from the small nipple behind the carb .. just below.

it normally pulses air in a pressure thank but your motor is modified for that pump…. see video how it is done )one method anyway… the 7.5hp has an other option)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtG4M7ye1N8

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

rudderless
            Participant

I’d think that running the pump hot during normal operation could lead to vapor lock ..maybe?

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

In Canada, they don’t have to worry about that, either. I think I am going to move to Canada.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by billw.
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

did you know Montreal gets as hot as Miami….for a few days 🙂

no alligators, red ants and brown recluse….all good reasons to move if you don’t mind shoveling the white stuff for a few months 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by crosbyman.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years ago by crosbyman.
                Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.