Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Lightwin problems

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    collectorinspector
    Participant

Hi Boyd

A shame that we did not have a chance to meet on Friday so that we could try one of my carbs before you went away.

I do consider that you still have a carb and ignition issue since last time that you came over to see me with the motor. That visit was to sort out a blocked OEM filter in the tank remember? Well not blocked but stuffed right royally and needed removal. I believe that has been done.

I did mention that the carb needed cleaning out properly at that time. I suggested using the full carb kit that you have including the low speed/ idle gallery plug. I mentioned that I have new shot as well. Sometimes you have to make sure before anything can be deemed as "Cleaned".

Originally, when you purchased this motor Boyd it had a fuel pump on the case. It was incorrect so I suggested it be removed at that time. It was flooding the carb!

Question is………………is there any chance that there is an induction leak remaining?

In other words…………….is the pulse port sealed up correctly? Please note that if any issue the bottom cylinder will give problems.

You mentioned just now that the "High Speed" circuit is the problem?

This circuit only really comes into operation when the motor is under load…………not really in a bucket of water in the back yard.

EDIT: Have you actually had the fixed high speed jet in your hand? No other way to check if it is either damaged or clean!

May Just play the Devil’s advocate in asking how the carb/ignition advance point has been set for just on or off the idle circuit.

As asked earlier……………you may have replaced some of the ignition gear…………BUT……….what is the air gap?

Condensers check out OK?

Leave your motor with me for a week as suggested Boyd.

Just my thoughts and thanks to everyone helping Boyd so far over the internet. Anything I have missed?

Send pics of your Seagull on a transom when you can.

Regards

B

ausob-collector
      Participant

B

Full carburettor kit has been used and it has been completely apart and in my hand, carbie is now spotless and basically as new.
        Fuel filter in tank has been removed so no fuel flow problems now.
        Good condensers installed with coils, points, leads etc.
        air gap with coils is good, coil heels lined up with magneto heels perfectly.
        The first time I took it over to your place B I had an OMC square fuel pump on it that I had put on from my 5hp Johnson because of the fuel tank problem (before I knew what was wrong with it) but yes it was flooding the carbie then.
        The cam and the throttle lever assembly are synced together perfectly, will attach pic when I get back.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far
        Cheers
        BP

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So, is that fuel pump in place now, or not?

ausob-collector
          Participant

Fleetwin
            No the fuel pump is not connected now, it is running off the original fuel tank mounted on the motor (minus the OMC fuel filter) but with an inline filter.

Cheers
            BP

cajuncook1
            Participant

After you removed the fuel pump, did you replace the screw and washer that goes to the fuel pump pulse port. See the picture that was previously displayed ealier in the post. If it is not sealed properly, fuel delivery can be an issue because air can be sucked in the crankcase through that port. This will also cause fuel delivery issues through the reeds into the crankcase.

ausob-collector
              Participant

Yes I did replace that screw and washer.
                A flathead screw and rubber washer if I remember correctly, will check when I get back home.

Cheers
                BP

collectorinspector
                Participant

Just remembered Boyd.

When I last saw the motor there was a lot of play/wiggle/wobble with the slow speed needle assembly.

I suggested to use BOTH of the packing washers out of your carb kit then.

Has this been done?

Absolute nil movement on this needle in packing is acceptable. It will stuff up the idle and other things if leaking air.

No wobble and firm in and out required.

That is why I wanted to use my carb.

Cheers

B

ausob-collector
                  Participant

B
                    Both packing washers have been installed an there is now no play in the slow speed needle at all.
                    When I get back I will take you up on your offer of switching carbies temporarily.

A right puzzler eh?
                    Cheers
                    BP

johnyrude200
                    Participant

any update on what your problem has been? This one has been going on long enough where I’m real interested to hear what the solution is/was 🙂

collectorinspector
                      Participant

Thank you for mentioning that.

I have not had the chance to catch up with Boyd as yet to try my carb and see what happens.

Boyd has a full on agenda with extra activities from his school at the moment.

We shall reveal either good news………or try something else like giving it to me for a week as mentioned earlier.

I love these things and heaps of parts to swap about.

Cheers

Bruce (B)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 59 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.