Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Lightwin problems

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    ausob-collector
    Participant

Hello all

Well quite unfortunately she still isn’t running properly with the same symptoms as above.
      At this point in time, I do think that switching carbies may solve the issue, if not then maybe there is a problem with the whole powerhead?

If carburetor switch doesn’t fix it then the entire engine will come apart, new rings, all new gaskets, etc.
      If that doesn’t fix it, nothing will!!
      I’ll keep you updated.

Thanks for interest
      Cheers
      BP

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

BP
        Sorry for all the confusion and your frustration, we surely have all "been there". I just reread all the posts and agree with you, the best option now is to try another carb.
        In one of your first posts you mention something about "repairing powerhead threads", what threads are you referring to? You also mention that the reed gaskets were all messed up. Does it look like this powerhead has been apart before? These gaskets usually don’t get messed up on their own, unless someone has been in there messing around.
        So, I just want to review the symptoms here. You say the engine runs good at low speeds, but runs lousy/rich at high speeds, but will clean up and run OK once the fuel supply is shut off and the engine is about to run out of gas. Previously, you felt that just one cylinder was affected by this apparent rich condition, but it seems like you changed your opinion on that in the last few posts.
        The fuel pump has been removed, and the pulse port is properly plugged. I know that others have mentioned that your high speed jet may have been messed with, or changed, which certainly would create a rich high speed condition. Hopefully, the next carb you try will have adjustable low and high speed needles instead of the fixed high speed jet.
        The only other question I have is did this engine ever run correctly for you? I am assuming you just bought the engine and it has never run properly for you.
        I know you probably want to get away from this project for a bit, provide us with as many pictures and perhaps a video of the engine misbehaving when you get back at it. Hope a different carb solves the problem!

ausob-collector
        Participant

Fleetwin
          The outboard has never run properly, I got it at the start of this year as a project motor.
          The threads that I helicoiled in the powerhead were the ones for the cylinder head attachments, as the threads were stripped.
          I would say that the powerhead has been apart before, as there is evidence from rounded off bolts, screw head slots butchered etc.
          Someone has most probably tried to get this outboard running before, maybe that’s why I got it for a relatively cheap price!! 😆

I recently purchased a ’76 4hp evinrude that runs perfectly and has the adjustable low and high speed needles, I may remove that and see if that makes any difference.

I will make a quick vid when I get the chance of when it runs.

If the carbie doesn’t do it, then I wonder what shall be next…

Cheers and thanks
          BP

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well-
            I’m not sure, you could try it. The throttle cam linkage is different on the two carbs, so I don’t know if the 4hp throttle arm will line up properly with the 3hp throttle cam.
            So, you think the powerhead has been apart previously, and the engine never ran right since you got it. The powerhead is surely suspect, except the symptoms are reversed. Usually, a messed up powerhead will idle poorly, but run "OK" at higher speeds. Did you notice if the pistons were installed correctly when you had the cylinder head off? The sharp sides of the piston deflectors should be facing the intake (right hand side) of the powerhead.
            I hope the 4hp works out better for you, its weak link is the crazy side mount starter, it will be OK if you are careful with it though.
            Pull the recoil rope slowly until the starter gear raises and engages the flywheel, then give it a short forceful tug. Never let go of the recoil handle allowing the rope to rewind on its own, the spring will get messed up.

ausob-collector
            Participant

Hi All

Finally, the problem has been fixed! B (aka Collector Inspector)’s carbie worked beautifully on the lightwin so I now know that the problem was with the high speed part.

Thanks everyone for all your input and advice throughout this process.

Cheers
              BP

collectorinspector
              Participant

😎

B

Mumbles
                Participant

I like a happy ending! 😀

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool!

Anonymous

I cleaned a carb on a 3hp Evinrude three or four times before I could get it to run right. There is a very small orifice in the carb (I don’t remember exactly where) that seemed to be the problem….once clean….motor ran great.

Jim

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.