Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Sportwin 9.5hp vs Johnson QD 10 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member
      quote Chris_P:

They started measuring HP at the prop in about 1985.

As others have stated, in my experience, the QD all day long. No comparison for me.

I have a 2-page magazine ad from 1957 that shows the Johnson lineup for that year and clearly states that HP is measured at the propshaft. In the 1960s, as new models were designed, the measurement started going to the powerhead. It returned to the propshaft, as Chris stated, in the mid- 1980s when sales dropped because the Japanese were outperforming with propshaft ratings.
      Dave

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

The obvious question is "Why not both?" 😀 I have a 1959 QD that I have not run yet on a boat, 😳 but I have a 58 fleetwin which is a wonderful, but not very powerful motor. I also have a 1970 Johnson 9.5 hp. I will say, that among the 6 different 9.5’s I have run, I have noticed a significant difference in power between motors.

Steve

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member
          quote 20mercman:

I will say, that among the 6 different 9.5’s I have run, I have noticed a significant difference in power between motors.

Steve

9.5s can demonstrate power differences from motor to motor depending on the condition of the rubber bellows seal on the shiftrod that keeps exhaust out of the powerhead housing where the shiftrod passes through to the exhaust housing. You can’t see this part without dissassembling the outer housing. This is a common part to fail and when it does, performance at idle and WOT is compromised. To see if this is an issue with any 9.5, take the lid off and see if it runs better in open air. When you accelerate, you may see a cloud of blue coming up around the engine block. Of course, performance differences can also be due to conventional things like low compression.
          Dave

bullie
          Participant

You will look much cooler running a QD.

wyo307
            Participant
              quote Bullie:

You will look much cooler running a QD.

haha I completely agree. My problem is I am already in the middle of a KE4 which I was planning on running on the same boat and I also have a 15014 Evinrude fastwin 15hp sitting on the shelf waiting to be brought back to life.

On that note how much difference would I see in the fastwin to the qd? What are their weights? Just as a side note this old boat is only rated for 8hp but with the 9.5 and two people it will do about 11 mph but I did put the RDE-17 on it just for kicks and rocked it up close to 30 mph lol. So with either the fastwin or this qd I am hoping for 15-20 mph with a good idle. I mainly just use this rig to get me across the lake to go hiking to other lakes so a slow troll isn’t that much of a concern.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My vote goes to the QD also. I’m a big fan of any of the OMC 10hp motors from 1949 thru 1963 Johnson or Evinrude. The early QDs were a bit less refined,.than the later ones, but any from ’55 on are very civilized and wonderful motors to run and to work on. They are also very capable of trolling. The 10s are some of the best idling motors around. This one was my regular runner this summer at our cabin. Lots of lake laps and family boat rides with this one this year and it is a joy to run even if it’s not much of a looker. It pushes me, my wife, and daughter (8 y.o.) in my Sea Nymph 14R at about 16mph or a little more. My alone at around 18-19 mph
                -Ben

https://youtu.be/XfVy0AmdNZE

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

With the QD, I would expect 15-17 MPH on your boat and with the 15 Fastwin, you can pull kids and small adults on water skis. You will be surprised at how the QD puts the boat up on plane compared to the struggling 9.5.

The KE4 will be fun to run occasionally, and maybe as fast as the QD with light load in the boat, but it will be much louder, and no gearshift or tiller throttle, and limited range with the small onboard gas tank.
                  Dave

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have QD15 in the garage ready to go but sleeping…… but my 9.5 serves and fits me perfectly as back-up to my high technology ETEC

it all depends on needs and wants I guess

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

20mercman
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote crosbyman:

I have QD15 in the garage ready to go but sleeping…… but my 9.5 serves and fits me perfectly as back-up to my high technology ETEC

it all depends on needs and wants I guess

Prior to my good luck and winning a brand new Duck’s Unlimited edition 1984 Mercury 7.5hp motor, I used our 1970 Johnson 9.5 as our auxiliary and trolling motor on our 18′ Lund for 4 years. It was and is a wonderful motor, like everything, there are trade offs. Pretty easy to fight a fish over the top of that low profile motor, and not have it get in the way of rods etc. I have not run this one in a few years, I really need to exercise it again soon. 26 different motors of my own on the water so far this year, plus several motors belonging to others.

Steve

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a ’72 9.5 Sportwin I need to revive someday. 26 motors is a pretty good bunch of them. I have run 27 different ones on the water this year total including several motors belonging to others. You’re ahead of me a little bit Steve. 😆
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.