Home Forum Ask A Member HD25 cyl temp

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rick Robbins
    Participant

Trying the air was something I had thought about, just haven’t got to it yet. The motor was given to me so I don’t know it’s water usage history. When I had the head off, I didn’t see any evidence of salt water use. I tried running a wire into the water tube where it joins the pump and it seemed fine. I’ll use the air through that line as well as the leg exit ports, now that I know where they are. I figured I might have to remove the powerhead and look where the water exits the block and goes to the leg. That would only be if all these other test show nothing. I’m guessing that this higher temp I’m measuring is too much, but if I have water spitting out the leg, I’ll consider ir normal and let it run until something shows.
      Thanks for the suggestions, I’m starting to learn Johnson outboards for a change.
      Rick

Rick Robbins
      Participant

Well I decided to run it in a barrel today and look at the water outlets on the leg as described to me by frankr. I did have some mist coming out which was good to see. I put the temp gun on it saw that it was up at 200 deg again. Now this reading is running at below start, maybe slow. I decided to increase the speed a little above start, and low and behold the temp went down to the 160 deg area! It makes sense that the pump is pumping a greater volume at the higher rpm, which indicated that I no longer had a cooling problem.
        Thanks to all those that contributed the great suggestion! Couldn’t have fixed these motors without the experience available by the members at AOMCI.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

We didn’t have those new-fangled temperature guns back in “The Day”.

Mumbles
          Participant

You might want to check the condition of the 300583 rotor impeller in front of the propeller. They tend to go bad with age.

Johnson-HD-Lower

Rick Robbins
            Participant

It fit snugly inside the new impeller, the old impeller had a significant gap.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Rick Robbins.
            Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.