Home Forum Ask A Member hot 9.5 for 75$

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I may be able to get this one but do you think it is worth while

engine seized …overheated due to bad impeller

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

rco
      Participant

Personally I don’t think it would be worth it to make a runner, but the parts value is a lot more than $75. The recoil starter alone will bring more than that on eBay.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I agree, I’d buy it for parts, but I have had one of these forever – Dad bought my 1969 used in 1973. It has pushed everything from a pontoon to a hydroplane, but I hate working on it – I’ve been through all common problems – exhaust leaking into the engine housing, bad rubber mounts, broken recoil spring, worn out tiller, etc. and all these things take way too much time to fix. I will now only fix the 9.5s for anyone else if they are a close friend.
          Dave

jerryswiss
          Participant

I had a ’66 9.5. Best motor I ever owned, I regret everyday selling it.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

I’ve often heard the 9.5 described as a motor that people either really love, or really hate. I have to admit the low profile is nice for fishing/trolling.
              Dave

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok thanks.. I had him drop to $67.50…. and was going to pick it up ………then he chicken out on the deal

I’ll wait him out a few weeks and if still on kijiji………. i’ll reoffer 75$

I have a turtle to test out but it is and ugly dirty thing which had a 2 inch lobotomy in the cowl just above the carb

If I can get the 75$ one it is worth the prop alone ! ……patience brings joy

thanks for opinions

need2fish
                Participant

It’s a bear to work on without dismantling it entirely, especially with its integrated carb.

IMHO if the rubber exhaust seal is still in good shape then it’ll make a nice runner. Last time I tried to rebuild one, the seal was nla and the lower part of the motor took in so much water it almost went up the exhaust ports.

I believe I’ve seen some sites advertizing 9.9/9.5 exhaust seal repro.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Keep in mind the exhaust problem that makes it idle bad with the lid on, can be either the boot between the housings or the shift rod bellows – both discontinued.
                    Dave

david-bartlett
                    Participant

Nymarine has the shift rod boots and the exhaust boots.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

all true but they can also be gems like my $50 seized 9622a …. a toss up I guess that is why i’ll wait him out I am in no rush

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.