Home Forum Ask A Member How to fix a dented tank?

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    george-emmanuel
    Participant

US Member

Here’s how I do it..

On tanks with female threads, and specifically Johnsons because almost all of them have the same diameter/TPI, I cut and threaded a 12" piece of shaft about 1 inch that matched the threads and diameter of the filler neck, The shaft (rod’s) diameter was greater than the tank’s opening. That left a shoulder that would bottom out when screwing the shaft in. Once you’ve done that, clamp the shaft with the tank on it in a "well mounted" vice. Then grab the tank and pull it out. As you are doing that you can pull in such a manner that you can align the filler neck.

I haven’t done tanks with male threads but if I did, I’d use the same method with a shaft (rod) that had been bored and threaded so it would screw onto the filler neck.

I agree, on a Zephyr, there are a lot of donor motors out there with low priced tanks.

George

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For what they get the shipping placed you would think it would get a padded cell & controlled room to put it in!
        No, not that bad but a whole bunch better at any rate. My last outboard I shipped in two boxes. The powerhead ended up in a box of flowers in Las Vegas, not Phoenix, Arizona. They tried to blame me for that???
        Jeff

jim-moffatt
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The dent can be easily pulled out. Remove the vent screw from the cap. Replace it with a 2 foot piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod. then put cast iron pipe around it held on with saveral large fender washers. Put the cap on the tank. You can then straighten the cap fitting by using the pipe as a lever. Then use a slide hammer to pull it with back up with support washers under the plastic cap. The aliuminum is soft and with care you shouldn’t damage the cap.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.