Home Forum Ask A Member Is there a special tool for tightening old style pressure tank hose clamps?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    boscovius
    Participant

Peter at NYMarine is probably a good bet.

http://www.nymarine.ca/index.html

boscovius
      Participant

How about this kind of spring hose clamp?spring-hose-clamp-resized.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by boscovius.
        joecb
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like Steve D showed .. ” the crosbyman” tool … that is what I use.

Joe B

boscovius
          Participant

I like the pliers idea.  I bought new old style connectors, so I want to use them.  I can make the pliers with my bench vise, a drill, and my bench grinder.  What, if any, benefit is there in ditching the pressure tanks and installing the fuel pump on one of these old outboards.  I know a lot of guys do it, but why?  Is it because the pressure tanks have gotten leaky and are making a mess of the bilge?

Matthew Pieklik
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Dodge Chrysler Alpine Green

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

joecb… it is not a crosbyman tool it is a mumbles tool  I have no claim on that invention

boscovius  What, if any, benefit is there in ditching the pressure tanks and installing the fuel pump on one of these old outboards. 

tanks are getting rare  .. dual hose  may be hard to find in some locations,    some tanks  leak from rust ,  modern  single  hose tanks are everywhere,  dual hose tanks have more parts ..to fail ,   makes  the motor easier to sell if you  do want to keep  a good  dual tank for other oldies in the barn ,   you can use a smaller 3 gal tanks  but…..  purists  do like presure  tanks and that is ok with me.  🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.
                1 user thanked author for this post.
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ll check out that color…

seakaye12
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I like the pliers idea.  I bought new old style connectors, so I want to use them.  I can make the pliers with my bench vise, a drill, and my bench grinder.  What, if any, benefit is there in ditching the pressure tanks and installing the fuel pump on one of these old outboards.  I know a lot of guys do it, but why?  Is it because the pressure tanks have gotten leaky and are making a mess of the bilge?

For me the reason to fit a fuel pump relates to sale-a-bility.  If I go to sell a motor with a pressure tank….even if I offer to include “the special tank” it is many times a deal-breaker.  Plus the cost of including a tank far exceeds the cost of adding a fuel pump.

For motors that I intend to keep and use….I will usually leave the pressure system intact.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I agree  pumps can go for $10-15………. hose +  mods  ( 10$ & free time mostly)

good tanks – hose,  motor side connectors  can exceed the motor value  of a motor.

I found most buyers around here prefer  modern tanks/hoses..  so the answer is….depends who is buying

(steveD)  here is  full shot of that antique

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.
                      Steve D
                      Participant

crosbyman – PM sent

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.