Home Forum Ask A Member Is this Flywheel Ring Necessary

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMC guys is this heavy ring that goes on the flywheel of the 15/25hp outboards necessary?   Has anyone ran a motor with it off?   I am wondering if lighter might be better.   I know the electric start uses the ring gear and the pull start uses the ring.  It might weigh 5 lbs or more.

dale

IMG_1303

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

It may give you better low speed idle to have the ring on,
        other than that, I don’t know!

Prepare to be boarded!

Boonie
        Participant

Canada Member

Back in my hotrodding vw motor days we would shave a couple lbs off the flywheel to bring the revs up quicker. But that was a four stroke motor. Why do you not want it on there?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Have you ever seen the results of an exploding flywheel? I have. You don’t want to .experience that.

I figure that steel ring helps to reinforce the flywheel as well as provide a good idle.

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member

Yikes Frank.  I guess you don’t have a video;  eh?  What engine was it where the flywheel exploded?

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I was a kid, I took one off my 18, to try to go faster. If it made a difference in top end, I couldn’t tell; but it sure did idle a lot worse. God sometimes protects the ignorant. It was only when I “grew up,” that it dawned on me that it probably held the flywheel together, and I had been extremely lucky.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t redesign what works…..somebody (RIP)  figured all this out a long time ago for us young fellows .  !!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
                  Participant

It’s an inertia ring, meant to smooth out the power pulses.

Best to leave it on or the motor might try to pull your arm out of its socket when roping it over or  it might try running backwards at idle.

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

With my background in industrial manufacturing, I approach a question like this from a corporate “Bean Counter” perspective. That ring cost quite a bit of money to manufacture and install…. trust me,  the “bean counters” would have badgered the engineers to leave if off if it was not necessary. In this case looks like logic and the engineers prevailed.

Any time you encounter what appears to be an extraneous part, apply the bean counter test.

Joe B

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Yikes Frank.  I guess you don’t have a video;  eh?  What engine was it where the flywheel exploded?

I didn’t see the actual accident, just the guy when he dropped by for a visit a number of weeks afterwards.  It was a cast iron flywheel on an industrial engine, (a Wisconsin, I think), mounted in a midget race car.  The thing blew up in his face and punched a few holes in his head.  He survived but was never the same after that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.