Johnson caprice

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson caprice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)

• hondaatc

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 77
    Topics: 36

Hey all I’m thinking about buying a 1966 johnson caprice 90 hp i/o i basically know nothing about about these boats didn’t even know omc made boats anyways it looks good owner says its in real nice shape but has no spark ( maybe needs to clean the points ) any one out there know about these boats and or the power units and out drive units any advice i should look for or known problems thanks in advance

seakaye12

Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

Interesting. The Good Old Days

https://www.omc-boats.org/

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

At the link below, scroll down to 1966 and page 2 of the 1966 Brochure shows the Caprice. Word is that OMC refused to pay Mercury royalties to use some of their patented features of their MerCruiser outdrives, so had to design theirs around those patents. Some argue that the OMC outdrive, along with the tilt and trim, was a “Rube-Goldberg” design, and inferior to MerCruiser, but it had advantages, like tilting up a full 90 degrees which made prop inspection and replacement while in the water easier. Like the MerCruisers, they had modified car engines attached, although some were offered with modified OMC V4 engines derived from outboards, but these took a lot more gas than the automotive 4-stroke engines. OMC outdrives with these car motors also were sold to other boat companies, like Crestliner.

The OMC boats were all or nearly all Tri-Hulls, which ride rough in waves, with three hull sections instead of one pounding against the waves. Tri-hulls also can get dicey if you try to take a quick, sharp corner at fast, planed off speeds.

Dave
    http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=OMC_Boats

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by outbdnut2.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I THINK that a 90 hp was the “DU” series engine, which was an outboard power head, mounted sideways. Correct me if I am wrong. I think for OMC, the smallest car-engine based one were like, 110 or 120 hp.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yes, sounds like the Caprice has the V-4 90hp outboard engine.
    I would love to recommend this rig, but the truth is that it is alot mechanically, you will need to learn alot to care for it. Parts will be tough to find also. There are next to no techs left that have had any experience with these boats/outdrives/engines.
    I would think twice about this purchase unless it is at a price that can not be refused….

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Owning a DU would be like having the Unicorn of marine power plants. If you want unique, you will have unique, FOR SURE, no doubt about it. Very cool….but to WHO? Even if you do find all the parts you might need and get it to go, nobody but you and a few of us on the inter-web are going to appreciate it. I seem to remember seeing one once; and I have never heard one run. I suspect there is a reason they they didn’t sell well and disappeared quickly. Like Don says, if you get it very cheap, it might be a fun learning experience. But other than that, I dunno…

hondaatc

Replies: 77
    Topics: 36

Thanks guys i can get a very nice ” looking ” very complete boat that ” turns over but has no spark ” with a really nice matching johnson trailer and a parts boat with complete motor and outdrive for $ 500 i really like the looks of the boat i like unique but I’m nervous about it being a mechanical nightmare i did check out marineengine.com and there are some parts still available but i am definitely on the fence wish i could find a wicked cool aluminum boat to go with my 50s outboards

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Let me ask you this: Are you married; and if so, would your WIFE or significant other, ride in this proposed boat? If so, then I would do it. You’d be able to double dip, having a very cool mechanical thing that your wife would also enjoy. My wife loves “her” Bayliner (she rides in it and I work on it) but she would not be caught dead in my aluminum boats with the antiques. Just make sure you don’t get towed back to the dock. They don’t like that.

billw

US Member - 2 Years

I always thought OMC stringer drives were kind of the BMWs of stern drives. They were more of a pleasure to operate but took more to maintain in tip-top shape. Saying that brings to mind a very unique piece that you will probably need to find: The OMCs were not mounted directly to the transom. They just kind of passed through the transom and a big, rubber boot kept the boat from sinking. These deteriorated over time and would leak. With the age of that boat, I can almost guarantee you will need one of them….

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

FYI: Here is a photo of a couple of the OMC Johnson 140 HP engines with outdrives attached – I’m just posting this to show what their drives look like. Drive for the V4 90 HP would be similar The 140 HP was the base car engine in the Chevy II Nova when it was introduced and Mercury used this basic engine built up for marine use for decades and may still use it today.. These two are for sale now on the St. Cloud, Minnesota craigslist.
    Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.