Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson caprice

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    hondaatc
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Thanks for all the advice fellas i really appreciate it and to billw my wife is exactly the same she says hell no to my aluminum boats and antique outboards but loves the bass boat anyway i think if i can make a deal with the current owner i am going to take the chance and purchase this boat i have been back and forth for a good two weeks and have kinda fallen for it so hopefully she treats me well i do all my own work and I’m definitely nervous from the comments here and on some other forums i have searched about it being a pain in the butt … but hopefully out of the two complete units i might get at least one trip out of it i have included some of the pictures i have from his add thanks again I’ll keep u all informed

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If I could get that for $500, I might even consider getting divorced. That thing is a 9.5 on the cool-o-meter, to me! Not sure my wife would ride in it; but now that I see it, who cares? One question, though….The red is not the original color, right? Especially the drive itself?

Long live American manufacturing!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Matthew Pieklik
        Participant

Go for it! You could blow 500 on a weekend. That boat is way too cool to pass up. You will find your parts you need.

hondaatc
          Participant

Hi billw from all the pictures i have seen on the interweb they are all red as far as it being original paint im not sure

hondaatc
            Participant

A picture from a johnson add

outbdnut2
              Participant

Looks like you found a real “Trailer Queen” that spent most of her life in a garage. I’m not a fan of tri-hulls, old fiberglass boats, or Johnson outdrives, but the one you found sure looks like a nice survivor! Keep us posted on what it takes to get it water-ready!
                Dave

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by outbdnut2.
                phil
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Outbdnut2 wrote:
                  > Some argue that the OMC outdrive, along with the tilt and trim, was a “Rube-Goldberg” design …

Just thought I should add the note that I’ve heard the tilt on these old outdrives was not meant to be used for trim, just for tilting it out of the water. I believe there is a knuckle gear that can strip if it isn’t full down.

http://www.omc-boats.org
                  http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Outbdnut2 wrote:
                    > Some argue that the OMC outdrive, along with the tilt and trim, was a “Rube-Goldberg” design …

Just thought I should add the note that I’ve heard the tilt on these old outdrives was not meant to be used for trim, just for tilting it out of the water. I believe there is a knuckle gear that can strip if it isn’t full down.

That is true. Also, the tilt goes down VERY fast, when it works right. It can blow the worm gear right out of it’s housing, when it comes to an abrupt stop. There was a bulletin and sort-of-fix for this; but be sure to lower it a little at a time, to avoid damage.

Long live American manufacturing!

hondaatc
                    Participant

Thanks fellas for the info this is what i was looking for some knowledge I’m definitely on the fence again i dont want to buy a turd but i know any used boat can be a gamble

hondaatc
                      Participant

Ok fellas just got the word from the current owner that he has sold to boat to someone else after we had made plans to meet up Sunday for me to make the sale so i thank everyone for the info but i will not be buying it i guess it wasn’t made to be

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.