Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson FD-12 Won’t Run

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

more pics

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I gotta agree with you guys out there!   When she speeds up just before it quits, it’s sucking air some place.  Check the fuel filter bowl gasket as well.  Sometimes they are a bugger to seal good.

dale

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

good point but in theory if it sucks air it should splash fuel  under hand pumping pressure.

Tom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Does the hole in the bypass port go all the way through the cover?  It doesn’t look like it does.

T

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

of course it does….what would be the purpose if not ?   see rear view JPG005

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

here is another way  I did on a similar eng.    plate must clear the linkage .   bypass cover   & the support plate   drilled   .25 inch

img0106 clear

bobw
                Participant

I found a bypass cover with the factory fuel pump provision off a 1960 18hp and I’ll order one of the square fuel pumps.   That’s the setup I used on my ’57 Evinrude 18hp and of course it works great.   Lesson learned on getting the appropriate pump.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I guess I wish you had just found another bypass cover with a fuel pump port, and used the standard OMC fuel pump.  This way, you could just plug off the pressure outlet nipple.

I’m not sure just how that pump you have works, does it work off pressure and vacuum signals, or just pressure signals?  I’m not sure about the method you described concerning the reed plate.  It is possible that a problem with the reed plate is causing this sneezing fit as well.

Don’t forget, it is possible that there is an air leak/restriction in the inlet fuel line somewhere causing the pump not to work as well.  But, it seems like the engine continues to run OK if you pump the fuel bulb.  At this point, I wouldn’t rule out anything.

bobw
                    Participant

Fleetwin – I confirmed today the pump I installed is not working.    The air pulse line to the pump is tight and not leaking or restricted and is providing adequate pressure and vacuum but the pump is only pumping out a few drops.    All other fuel inlet and inlet lines are confirmed as tight and not sucking air or restricted.    So I am going to remove this bad pump, install a bypass cover with the fuel port, install the correct pump and block off the outlet nipple on the manifold.  I’m sure this will cure the problem.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.