Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson K50 weird shear pin diameter? Crash Video!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mondobug
    Participant

Well I finally took the K50 out on the water yesterday after working on it. Runs pretty good actually. I don’t know the reason for chain-dragging sound on the phone cam. It didn’t sound like that to my ears while I went for a 40 minute cruise. But I need a shear pin now. Glad I brought the oars!

The original pin measures .182" diameter and 3/16" will not go in the hole. So what would you guys do? Enlarge the prop shaft pin hole for 3/16" – or look for .182" brass? Where would I find it?

Watch the vid to the end and see my dumb self run aground due to paying too much attention to the camera. My wife thought it was funny anyway.
      Motor and boat check out – no other damage!

https://vimeo.com/139872006

The Boat House
      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
        Randy in Tampa
        Participant

douh!

clockguy2
          Participant

Since 3/16" (.1875") is so close to .182" , I would drill the prop shaft to fit common 3/16 brass rod. If you are not wanting to take the plunge, you could turn some 3/16 rod down in a lathe or chuck up a short length in a drill and sand or file to size while the stock rotates.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

good luck on drilling the prop shaft.

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve got some of those. Check your PM.

1957evinrude
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I can say that was funny and you are okay it can happen to any of us. I need to be careful when running in the bayou as it is very narrow. Nice runner there!!!!

mini-motors
                  Participant

Mondo, what boat is that? I’ve been cleaning up my Dads Elgin aluminum boat, and the few glimpses I saw in your vid make me think that’s what you have.

mondobug
                    Participant
                      quote Mini Motors:

Mondo, what boat is that? I’ve been cleaning up my Dads Elgin aluminum boat, and the few glimpses I saw in your vid make me think that’s what you have.

It’s a 12 foot Smokercraft semi-v, probably from the early ’70s. I’ve had it since the late ’70s.
                      Good luck with your Dad’s boat. I typically now use a motor my Dad had – a ’57 Evinrude Fisherman.
                      I was just thinking that if I bought the boat in 1978, the motor then was only 21 years old but seemed ancient to me.
                      Hard to believe sometimes.

mondobug
                      Participant
                        quote retiredoz:

I’ve got some of those. Check your PM.

PM sent.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I’ll try this first. Easy is good. If I want to use the motor before I get them, I’ll try turning down one by filing in a drill press. Come to think of it, I might be able to just file a flat on the 3/16" rod until it fits tightly – it’s that close to fitting in the hole.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.