Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson K50 weird shear pin diameter? Crash Video!

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mondobug
    Participant

I thought of another K50 question. Does anyone think that the Sierra # 18-7208 foam carb float would work for it?
      Here’s the issue. The cork float is loose on the pin – the clip holds but the hole in the cork is big.
      The float valve seems late to seat with fuel coming out of the top hole like you tickled it just by opening the petcock.
      The motor floods easily so I usually start it cold with no tickle, no choke and 6-8 pulls.
      Warm start – or even if I come back hours later is OK – is just 1 or 2 pulls.
      I’m not inclined to make a new cork float or fix this one – just put it with other original parts in case I ever want to return it to original as it looks good.

david-bartlett
      Participant

Mondo,

Great video, but needs a little editing at the end! Glad all worked out OK.

Anonymous

I chucked some brass rod in my drill and ran it over some fine sandpaper till I got the right diameter. Very ease to do.

Mumbles
          Participant

I’m betting the hole was 3/16 originally and is just dirty or burred over preventing a 3/16 pin from sliding in. Only Elmer over in Cedarburg would have drilled a hole 0.005" smaller than a common size.

It looks like you reacted properly when the bottom came up and touched your motor. I’ve heard a persons natural reaction is to reach out to push the motor away from them when it tries to jump in the boat. Apparently there is more than one senior citizen walking around with a crippled or mangled hand from coming in contact with a spinning flywheel this way many years ago.

Rob
            Participant

US Member

I did the exact same thing this past weekend in the ICW down here in Florida. Fortunately, no one was hurt but my brand new Honda 60hp has it’s first ‘battle scar’

Rob

Rob

mondobug
              Participant
                quote Mumbles:

I’m betting the hole was 3/16 originally and is just dirty or burred over preventing a 3/16 pin from sliding in. Only Elmer over in Cedarburg would have drilled a hole 0.005" smaller than a common size.

It looks like you reacted properly when the bottom came up and touched your motor. I’ve heard a persons natural reaction is to reach out to push the motor away from them when it tries to jump in the boat. Apparently there is more than one senior citizen walking around with a crippled or mangled hand from coming in contact with a spinning flywheel this way many years ago.

Retiredoz advised that Olson’s # 11 is the only one that uses the decimal spec instead of fractional for diameter (.181 x 1-1/2 on the package) and fits a bunch of K motors. This would be even better than my original which is 1-1/4" long.

When the motor jumped up at that speed it was pretty violent – all big rocks on the bottom. I was cruising the shoreline because the water was very choppy that day for the video. The motor spun around to reverse position which probably helped to keep the prop off of the rocks while the boat glided further into shore (the impact turned the boat directly to shore) and the tree branches that nearly whacked me. This put the kill button pointing up so I went for it. The only problem I had was not holding the button long enough. At that speed, the motor re-started once or twice! 😆

Doug Wilson
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounded like it was running well. I had my K50 out for the first time on Sat glad I skipped the crash part. Some previous owner had taped an old package of shear pins to the fuel line so have a spare with it. Still have some fine tuning to do on mine but sounds like yours is running pretty well.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                  turned off?

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.