Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson tn-28 power issues

• This topic has 29 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by gjonz.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Short point arms…. I seem to remember seeing these short ones some time ago . I actually warned somebody about them but can’t find any in my junk box.

i’ll keep looking around

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Flambeau5
      Participant

I’ll have to pull the flywheel again to get a good pic of them… I will try to get a picture later today

gjonz
        Participant

Hey Lloyd. Very happy to see you’re still handing out here. Your name came up recently.

Remind me if you would, does the HD use the primer seals? I assume they do. If so could you message me details if you’re still making them please.

Thanks. Great to see you on here

Greg

Anonymous

What ratio oil mix are you running?

lloyd
            Participant

US Member

Hi Greg! Nice to hear from you. To make a very long story short, I suffered a Frontal Lobe Brain Aneurysm in 2015. By the grace of God, support of my wonderful wife Terry, and the great staff and Neurosurgeons at U of Michigan Hospital I recovered. 3 months inpatient, multiple brain surgeries, 2 1/2 years of Neuro Rehab and I am fully recovered. My case was so unexpectedly successful that it was written up in the Neurosurgery Journals. Long term memory completely intact. As a retired MD I researched the subject and discovered that my aneurysms were likely caused by an antibiotic called Cipro that I took years ago for a sinus infection. Over 5000 cases of patients with aneurysms linked to this class of antibiotics.

I have also not heard of the issue of point actuators that are too long or too short. I have always used original points in my TN’s that I polished and adjusted.and never had a problem with them. Be sure to lubricate the felt oiler or replace it if it is missing.

Fuel to oil ratio should be 16/1.

This new AOMC website has been somewhat challenging for me to get used to. I tried to put an ad in the classified section some months ago, but don’t know if it worked. The HD uses the same primer seals as the TD, TN, LT, AT, HS, et al. I just made a fresh batch a few days ago. If you need some, send $10.00 cash and a self addressed stamped envelope to me Lloyd Lautner 9289 North Long Lake Road, Traverse City Michigan 49685

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Greg! Nice to hear from you. To make a very long story short, I suffered a Frontal Lobe Brain Aneurysm in 2015. By the grace of God, support of my wonderful wife Terry, and the great staff and Neurosurgeons at U of Michigan Hospital I recovered. 3 months inpatient, multiple brain surgeries, 2 1/2 years of Neuro Rehab and I am fully recovered. My case was so unexpectedly successful that it was written up in the Neurosurgery Journals. Long term memory completely intact. As a retired MD I researched the subject and discovered that my aneurysms were likely caused by an antibiotic called Cipro that I took years ago for a sinus infection. Over 5000 cases of patients with aneurysms linked to this class of antibiotics.

I have also not heard of the issue of point actuators that are too long or too short. I have always used original points in my TN’s that I polished and adjusted.and never had a problem with them. Be sure to lubricate the felt oiler or replace it if it is missing.

Fuel to oil ratio should be 16/1.

This new AOMC website has been somewhat challenging for me to get used to. I tried to put an ad in the classified section some months ago, but don’t know if it worked. The HD uses the same primer seals as the TD, TN, LT, AT, HS, et al. I just made a fresh batch a few days ago. If you need some, send $10.00 cash and a self addressed stamped envelope to me Lloyd Lautner 9289 North Long Lake Road, Traverse City Michigan 49685

Lloyd- Thank you for sharing your scary journey with us. A few members tried to keep us up to date, but your post gives us the whole story. Your strong will to fight on and get better surely played a big part in your amazing recovery. I have taken Cipro a few times over the years, is it still being prescribed? 5000 cases would certainly warrant investigation… It is great to have you back with us, you are not alone when it comes to the steep learning curve with our new website.
                I just want to be sure I understand what you have said, so please correct me if I am wrong. The engine in this discussion uses the OMC universal mag set up, and the points used back then are the same ones used in any of the latest OMC models that used the universal mag set up….The part numbers for the early points are the same as what is used in the latest engines, or perhaps the early part numbers supercede to the latest part number. Further, you stated that you don’t know of any universal mag engines that used slightly different length point actuators… Let me know if I have it correct, I don’t have access to a parts book for this engine. And yes, I realize that engines that used distributors and “low tension” hybrid ignition systems used different points, but I am assuming there is no way to mix the various styles up and have them “fit” on this engine. I like to clean up original point sets also, but have noticed many with a lot of rubbing block wear, I worry the metal part of the actuator will start rubbing against the cam. I don’t worry much about engines I have resurrected that won’t see a lot of hours, but would usually use new stuff on an engine I was fixing for someone who was planning to use it frequently. Just wondering if you have notice excessive rubbing block wear on older points. And yes, I realize that much of the wear can be attributed to oiler wicks that have long since rotted away…

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you guys have me worried now……….. Ciprodex (ear drops) Cipro Ciprofloxacin etc… is a commonly used antibiotic to fight bacterial infections…. 🙁 next time I’ll talk it over with my doc.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

lloyd
                  Participant

US Member

Fleetwin. I have seen plenty of worn down rubbing blocks on points and replaced lots of coils and condensers with new ones when necessary, but I can’t remember needing to buy new points. That’s what good parts motors are good for. And a good felt oiler will prevent excessive wear in the future. And I don’t like to spend a lot of time and money on ignition problems unless or until the motor has good compression, which this motor does not have. It is hard to start and won’t idle. Compression. Compression. And he will want to be sure to clean out the one way fuel valve and stainless screen at the bottom of the carb that leads to the low speed orifice.

lloyd
                    Participant

US Member

Cipro, Levaquin, and other brands are members of the Flouroquinalone class of antibiotics. Not much info available on this subject lately as there are a huge number of pending legal issues unresolved, and the current Corona Virus Pandemic has monopolized the medical websites.

gjonz
                      Participant

Lloyd…I’m glad you’re doing well. Your knowledge is invaluable.

I’ll be in touch on the primer washer/seals.

Thanks!

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.