Home Forum Ask A Member KE7 Prop shaft Adapter spacer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mikesea
    Participant

Hi Folk’s,

Anyone sell a cone shaped spacer to close this up on my KE7?

Thanks,

Mike 🙂

outboard315
      Participant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Spline-Prope … SwuAVWuQio

Here you go. Ron Hill has them.

mikesea
        Participant

Thank you very much I hope I can repay the favor someday.
          Mike

I see but that one is straight cut on the outside. Looking for a tapered outside I still will toss one on the shelf.

squierka39
          Participant

US Member

I have the same adapter on my KF-7, I’ve never seen a tapered cover for it. Did anyone ever make such a thing?

20mercman
            Participant

US Member

That spacer is for the KF-7 and KG-7 with the splined prop shaft. The prop shaft is smooth and smaller on the KE-7. (9/16" vs. 5/8" I think) I can measure them and verify, but I am sure that they are smaller on the KE-7.

Steve

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

As I understand it the originals were in fact 9/16 for the one and 5/8 for the other, but if one changes all the bearings and such they can be used in either. I have a KE7 with a smooth 5/8 prop shaft and a KG7 with a splined shaft…Oh the fun of working on a Merc, but LOVE that speed

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

mikesea
                Participant

Hi Richard,
                  Yes,
                  My Merc’s the KE7 has a 5/8 smooth shaft in it and so does my KG4. My first Merc’s and I am enjoying them so much and they never have been run in my hands yet.
                  Mike

outboard315
                  Participant

So you are looking for an adapter to change from a through shaft shear pin to two parallel pins.

mikesea
                    Participant

No that is what you see on there now. I am looking for something to compete a smoother contour between the foot and the prop.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Nothing I know of is available. From what I have seen with the "exhaust through the hub" lower units, it is unnecessary. The early V4 75 horse used a huge tapered prop nut for a smooth flow of water. No change in performance was found with the use of a smaller nut. The biggest improvement was in prop design. The only way to ensure a smooth transition would be to use a longer prop shaft. Then a transition piece would be more practical.
                        You may be assured that if I am wrong I will quickly be corrected . . .
                        😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.