Home Forum Ask A Member KG4 Coils More updates in last reply 11.02.2017 ‘Updated Removal’

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

The early soft and gooey ones are what made them ad more hardener that made the later ones crack. . . 😆

20mercman
      Participant

US Member
        quote Garry in Tampa:

The early soft and gooey ones are what made them ad more hardener that made the later ones crack. . . 😆

My 1950 Fleetwin had those coils that melt and the ran all over the top of the motor. That was a job getting all of that residue off the motor. I converted mine to the modern OMC coils on the old laminations. This is the style that has the push rod to actuate the points. The conversion worked great.

Steve

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a couple QD-10s and a QD-11 with the coils that melted all over the powerhead too. You’re sure right, that stuff is about 10 kinds of fun to try to get off there. The ones that get revived will get modern coils on the old laminations also. I hope my conversion works as well as yours.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

mikesea
          Participant

Coils well I did get to the bottom of the supplier. I wish I was here years ago as Jim always had coils for all! Thanks Jim
            I have traced the coil back to the people who have them on the shelf and still make them. Wells located at 385 W. Rolling Meadows Drive Fond du Lac, WI 54937 Phone – (920) 922-5900 NO they will not sell to you only legal parts stores Like Summit.
            http://www.wellsve.com/video_ignitioncoiltesting.html
            Wells coil number PH-801 is sold to Standard Ignition boxed and numbered as S3-604, OLDER numbers are Airtex 5C1459, BWD E-104, Carquist 52-2017 and last one Shur-Hit E-114.

Hope it helps Folk’s
            Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.