Home Forum Ask A Member Kiss of death?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is a mag plate from a 1936 Thor Sea King single. While cleaning the grease and dirt I discovered the break in the clamp. I wish I could unsee it. Anyway to repair this? Seems unlikely……

IMG_4274

IMG_4276

IMG_4275

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If there’s a will, there may be a way. Perhaps
        the ring could be drilled and tapped and a
        couple of #10 machine screws used to hold
        the broken piece together?

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Buccaneer.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Buccaneer.
        crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

tried those aluminum welding rods ?? maybe STEEL WELD epoxy ???

a welding shop could be usefull shouldn’T be to hard to weld and polish it off

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Monte NZ
          Participant

International Member - 2 Years

I would bolt the broken part using suitable packing, to line it up correctly,
            then remove the broken part and V the break with a grinder, place it back correctly with the packing and have it aluminium welded and then remove the holding bolt plus the packing.

You could then if you wanted to finish the job properly, remove the holding bolt and fill the hole with weld.

Monte NZ

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It looks to me like that is a design that was just begging to break, anyway. I am not a welder but I would be surprised if welding it, even by a pro, would hold. Is this motor going to be a full restoration or just get ‘er goin’ and take a spin? If a full blown restoration, I would try to find a parts motor. If just running it for an hour or so, I would try using it just the way it is. It seems like it will still tighten enough to create enough friction to hold the plate from moving. I have a Mercury-built Thor single. It is no prize, when it is running. It sounds pretty unpleasant. If it were me, I would not sink a ton of time and money into that one you have. Just my opinion.

On another note, it says, “American Bosch, Springfield, MA.” Don’t Wico and Phelon also come from Springfield? It must have been the magneto capital of the world!

Long live American manufacturing!

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the input, everyone. All helpful and sound advice!

I agree with you, billw, that this motor is unlikely to be a good runner even if I get through a restoration. I won’t go deep into it. Funny thing is, the plate was very hard to move when it was on the motor. I thought I was doing the right thing taking it off to clean out the dried grease. Now I wish I could reapply it. Anyone have an extra tube of dried grease?

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have a Caille like that. The previous owner put a thin steel strap across the crack and bolted it down. It works really well. I have since found a good replacement mag plate, but I don’t run this particular motor so I didn’t bother changing it. Your mag could be welded and machined though it may break again. Aluminium brazing rods won’t work for this repair.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
                  Participant

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is my two cents on this project. I would take the pinch bolt out and get a proper size hose clamp to go around the housing and use the clamp to tighten it up for some tension.

dale

get’em wet don’t let’em set!

davidk
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

More good suggestions, thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.