Home Forum Ask A Member Kit numbers for carb and water pump

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    dan-in-tn
    Participant

US Member

Richard, the only problem with your ME lists are they are all Sierra list only! While the gearcase seal kits are all you can get is Sierra a lot of members hopefully prefer OEM carburetor kits that have all (floats, etc) parts needed for a full rebuild. That is just my opinion.
      While we are here, Mumbles brought up an interesting point. BRP has substituted a complete water pump kit for the 5, 5.5, 6hp OMC engines. I think it covers 1955-79 at least. I am starting to see this kit in older motors I am tearing down. Not sure how long this newer pump has been around, but to service this pump,with just an impeller you will have to know it has this new kit. If it has a plastic impeller housing it will take the smaller impeller #763758. Of course it is imperative this pump not be run out of water at all because of the plastic housing.

Dan in TN

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

Sorry guys, that part number I gave you #763758 was for the complete kit. Mumbles gave you that already. The little impeller #763735 or 18-3090 is what you will need if you just want to put in an impeller if you already have the later plastic kit on the motor.

Dan in TN

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member
          quote t2stroke:

Richard, the only problem with your ME lists are they are all Sierra list only! While the gearcase seal kits are all you can get is Sierra a lot of members hopefully prefer OEM carburetor kits that have all (floats, etc) parts needed for a full rebuild. That is just my opinion.
          While we are here, Mumbles brought up an interesting point. BRP has substituted a complete water pump kit for the 5, 5.5, 6hp OMC engines. I think it covers 1955-79 at least. I am starting to see this kit in older motors I am tearing down. Not sure how long this newer pump has been around, but to service this pump,with just an impeller you will have to know it has this new kit. If it has a plastic impeller housing it will take the smaller impeller #763758. Of course it is imperative this pump not be run out of water at all because of the plastic housing.

Dan in TN

Looking at the first link I posted, I see you can get the carb kits with floats….starts about 18 hp or so….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

Mumbles
          Participant

The 763758 pump with the plastic housing and small impeller was introduced as standard equipment in the last year of production of OMC’s six horse motor in 1979. The later six horse motors are of a different design and use a different style water pump.

The great news is the newer 763758 pump kit is a straight drop in replacement kit for any ’54 – ’79 OMC built 5.5, 6 or 7.5 horsepower motor. The mid-sixties five horse motors used a different gearcase so this pump kit wont work with them.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.