Home Forum Ask A Member Lightwin & Helicoil repair of thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a stripped thread to repair. 1/4 x 20 in aluminum block that head bolt screws into. Looks like a job for Heli Coil thread repair. I see .375 & .500 lengths and 304 stainless steel. Is there enough meat in block for Heli Coil and which length to use. I would appreciate advice from those who have been there done that. The other option is to weld, drill and tap. I have considered and passed on epoxy fix.

Thank You

Louis

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

.375 is plenty long enough.  Actually longer than need be.  .250 or longer will do.  Whatever is available and meat space will work.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

fixed up one of my  winter oldies  with them  and  worked out great … jump in

make certain  to use the proper drill size..then tap away

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
          Participant

Heli coil should not reach the bottom of the hole.

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank You for prompt replies. Will report back on results.

I have one more question…I believe I am member in good standing and somewhat computer aware, but, site name does not show at upper right even if I sign in. Has something changed or do I have an issue?

Louis

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Update on duo of Lightwins. After reviewing online offerings, went to Home Depot. They do not carry thread repair product as an in store item. They do offer EZ Lock as a store pickup item. HeliCoil is not offered. EZ Lock kit was less than $20. Delivery time to store not very swift.

In checking the impeller on #1  the impeller looked OK, Getting the drive shaft back into gearcase and the water pump buttoned up was fairly easy once the positioning of gearcase was understood.

Impeller in #2 was a marginal so a new impeller and water tube grommet were installed and water pump/drive shaft assembly were joined to gear case with no trouble. So far so good…Despite many efforts and ALL the tricks I could think of, joining the lower unit assembly to the upper unit (leg) just would not happen.

Finally, a close look at both old grommet and new grommet revealed some differences in design and size. Out with the new and in with the old. That and a few more tries and all went together smoothly. Chalk up an hour or so t0 learning experience.

Can not wait to discover surprises in carburetor kit.

Louis

A word about the costs. Available and Affordable ignition and impeller make reviving these Lightwins worthwhile effort. That said, an outboard with missing parts will be a money pit  If you have the missing parts to complete a parts motor you still have to consider why parts motor is a parts motor. Learning experiences can be Mechanical or Financial or both.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Some carb kits have  orange color  gaskets which…apparently  curl up and dissolve  key an eye open

dave-bernard
                  Participant

watch for gaskets not thick enough. round one for the pickup.

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thread repair kit arrived today. Read and printed up instructions first. Kit did not include 17/64″ drill bit needed nor did it include a small Allen Wrench needed to adjust the stop. The hole with bad thread was drilled out in two steps, first with 15/64″ followed by 17/64″, Better to shave off a little bit at a time than to try to get it all in one shot.

The tap provided in kit easily cut the threads,

Inserting the thread insert did not go well until I understood the tang was on leading edge not the following edge. Breaking off tank after insert is in place finished the thread repair.

Installed cylinder head and torqued the bolts. I promise myself to be more careful in future.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

utube is your friend….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.