Home Forum Ask A Member Looking for an engine boring service

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DAVE OVERBERG
    Participant

US Member

I have a 1986 Johnson 15 that has a scored cylinder and needs to be bored and honed. In the past I have used a small engine machinist but he has retired. The cylinder is not a through cylinder (casting below the cylinder bore) so the local auto machine shop will not touch it. I have looked online and have found a few shops but I was wandering if anyone can recommend a shop that they have used in the past. Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

Mumbles
      Participant

These types of cylinders are referred to in the trade as ‘blind holes’ and if your machine shop can’t bore it, I’d shop around and find a competent shop that can. A special holder is needed for the cutting bit on the boring bar and it sounds like your shop doesn’t have this attachment. This tool holder holds the cutting bit below the surface of the boring head so it will cut all the way down. Using a standard tool holder will leave a lip at the bottom of the cylinder. Maybe if you buy it for them, they will bore several motors for you for free!

Here’s a link to the type of tool holder they need:

http://www.beamequipment.com/Parts_for_Kwik_Way-Short_Tool_Bit_for_Kwik_Way_FWS_1_2.html

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

Dave – i sent you a PM.
          Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

rmhxruss
          Participant

Have heard that Subaru car motors are of the blind hole type. Call a machine shop that does Subaru Motors.

mercuryman
            Participant

Save money buy used powerhead.

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant

I used Jason White at Jay’s Block Shop in Tennessee
                Contact info: Jay’s Block Shop
                3015 McMinnville Hwy
                Sparta,Tn. 38583

(931) 808-0814

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                Robbie Robertson

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

I just sent a V6 OMC to Jay’s block shop. Very fast turn around… he only had it 3 days’ and was finished. Bored all 6 cylinders. great service!

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You are wise to skip any boring service that is not experienced in boring the OMC two strokes…..
                    Where are you located? There is a fellow/friend in Pa that builds/bores the OMC 9.9/15s for the racing circuit.

DAVE OVERBERG
                    Participant

US Member

Thanks for all the reply’s.
                      I live in Dayton, Ohio , home of the Hydrobowl which most stock and mod racers are familiar with.
                      All of the local racers used Carlson Bogan for their boring and machine work for their stock and mod engines for may years but he past away a number of years ago.
                      This engine will be used as a fishing motor for my grandson.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you could easily mail the block to Ed Runne in Pa….I will give you his phone number if you like…Don

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.