Home Forum Ask A Member Looking for info on Power Products 1.5hp?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    tacomancini
    Participant

Thanks, that’s a great link. Very cool. I also found this forum post that shows the AV47 in lawnmower form and in a YouTube video: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/power-products-ah-47-vertical-rotary-mower-engine.108703/

tacomancini
      Participant

The powerhead could possibly be an early fifties Power Products AV47 (Vertical crankshaft) which is similar to the AH47 (Horizontal crankshaft). This was before Tecumseh bought them out.

Power-Products-AH-47

DSC00157

That sure looks similar, thanks!

tacomancini
        Participant

Here’s a link to some Power Products specs.

https://classic-engines.com/engines-2/power-product/

Power-Products-Twin

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

Thanks for the great link! I also found a forum with some pics in lawnmower form and with a YouTube vid: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/power-products-ah-47-vertical-rotary-mower-engine.108703/

tacomancini
          Participant

Thank you guys so much for all the great info. I also found a forum with info about the AV47 including a YouTube vid. Can’t seem to post the link on here though.

I have a few concerns maybe you guys could help me out with. I’d really like to run this thing but I noticed a few quirks.

1. The steering and throttle seem to be pointed in the wrong direction towards the propeller side. Maybe this was mounted at a front of a boat or in another strange configuration? This seems to mean you would have to reach over and behind the motor to try to control it. This also means the spark plug and exhaust are pointed in towards the inside of the boat. Could/should I reconfigure this some way?

2. There doesn’t seem to be any muffler attached. The exhaust port is wide open. I see from the lawn mower forums that originally a rectangular exhaust was used with this motor. Is this a problem? Did people run these engines without any sort of exhaust/muffler system in outboard form? Picture attached.

3. The carb has no filter. That doesn’t seem to be a good thing.

4. The seller gave me some blue marble oil, but wasn’t sure about the best ratio but thought I should maybe try 24:1. The other motor forums recommend against modern oils due to the type of bearings. Any thoughts on that?

5. Am I asking for trouble if I try to put this cute motor into service in its current state or is this a bad idea all around for river transport in my city?

Thank again for all the great info and beautiful pics.

DC5986B6-5D72-46DA-BB4A-A67A59FB3278

4F81E535-1BAA-4BF2-BEFF-C7037038CE37

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I’m guessing there would have been clearance issues trying to put the original muffler
              on, but perhaps something could be retrofitted?

Don’t think outboard manufactures worried too much about air filters being
              the motors were run over waterways……not much dust out on the lakes.
              A lot had a silencer cover of sorts though.

Prepare to be boarded!

1 user thanked author for this post.
              frankr
              Participant

US Member

If memory serves, I think that motor probably has a brass connecting rod. They are run with sloppy clearances or they will seize. 16:1 or 1/2 pint per gallon.

Mumbles
                Participant

A late uncle in Saskatchewan gave me my AH-47 when I was a young teen as it didn’t have enough power to run a grain auger. After returning home from our holiday trip that year, I took the Briggs off our reel mower and adapted the AH-47 to it. This was probably when I lost the air filter as the governor parts were removed to and misplaced (disposed of) around the same time. Growing up near a speedway, I learned early on that an engine needs to breathe and rev high to win races. See the connection? Anyway, when I got the AH-47 mounted on the mower, I had a string hooked to the carb for a throttle control and after filling the tank with gas, I got the motor started and made it about 50 feet before it promptly blew up. I didn’t know they needed oil mixed in with the gas and the aluminum rod grabbed the crankshaft and shattered, something like a 5.5 or 7.5 horse Johnnyrude will do if run hard on anything other than 16:1 mix.

A few years ago I found a rough AV-47 at a flea market for five bucks and sure enough, the piston, rod, and reed valve were the same as the ones used in the old broken and archived AH-47. After swapping the parts in, it is now a 16:1 fuel drinking and running motor again sitting on a shelf waiting for a governor and air filter to be complete again.

As for the muffler, it’s just an aluminum cast cover which screws onto the cylinder and has a few holes in it. It doesn’t really muffle any sound as there are no baffles in it and you can see the exhaust ports and fire coming out when you look at it while the motor is running.

tacomancini
                  Participant

I’m guessing there would have been clearance issues trying to put the original muffler
                    on, but perhaps something could be retrofitted?

Don’t think outboard manufactures worried too much about air filters being
                    the motors were run over waterways……not much dust out on the lakes.
                    A lot had a silencer cover of sorts though.

Thanks Buccaneer, That makes sense about the filter. Yeah, mowing lawns would be a much dustier scene compared to the water.

tacomancini
                    Participant

If memory serves, I think that motor probably has a brass connecting rod. They are run with sloppy clearances or they will seize. 16:1 or 1/2 pint per gallon.

16:1 it is. Would the Blue Marble be too modern a lubricant. Should I be using straight motor oil of some particular type? I understand that modern oils are designed for different tolerances and types of newer bearings. Any recommendations?

tacomancini
                      Participant

A late uncle in Saskatchewan gave me my AH-47 when I was a young teen as it didn’t have enough power to run a grain auger. After returning home from our holiday trip that year, I took the Briggs off our reel mower and adapted the AH-47 to it. This was probably when I lost the air filter as the governor parts were removed to and misplaced (disposed of) around the same time. Growing up near a speedway, I learned early on that an engine needs to breathe and rev high to win races. See the connection? Anyway, when I got the AH-47 mounted on the mower, I had a string hooked to the carb for a throttle control and after filling the tank with gas, I got the motor started and made it about 50 feet before it promptly blew up. I didn’t know they needed oil mixed in with the gas and the aluminum rod grabbed the crankshaft and shattered, something like a 5.5 or 7.5 horse Johnnyrude will do if run hard on anything other than 16:1 mix.

A few years ago I found a rough AV-47 at a flea market for five bucks and sure enough, the piston, rod, and reed valve were the same as the ones used in the old broken and archived AH-47. After swapping the parts in, it is now a 16:1 fuel drinking and running motor again sitting on a shelf waiting for a governor and air filter to be complete again.

As for the muffler, it’s just an aluminum cast cover which screws onto the cylinder and has a few holes in it. It doesn’t really muffle any sound as there are no baffles in it and you can see the exhaust ports and fire coming out when you look at it while the motor is running.

I think I hear you loud and clear, more air through the carb, and no restrictions with the exhaust and its gonna rip. What oils do you use for the 16:1 mix?

And makes sense that the stock exhaust may not be necessary.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.