Home Forum Ask A Member Making mixture needles

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

Tubs

necks
      Participant

US Member

That needle looks pretty good , I didn’t think about the grinder, it’s nice when when you have a soft stone to finish the angle with, should be fairly straight. Did you get any ground tool bits when you purchased your lathe? You can buy the high-speed square tool bit blanks in various sizes, to make just about any cutter you need. if I remember correctly when you are using a grinder on the lathe, the spindles turning should turn opposite each other, so the grinding wheel won’t dig into piece part. Not as sharp as I used to be 76 years young today. Still enjoy playing with this stuff.
        Gene.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

That needle looks pretty good , I didn’t think about the grinder, it’s nice when when you have a soft stone to finish the angle with, should be fairly straight. Did you get any ground tool bits when you purchased your lathe? You can buy the high-speed square tool bit blanks in various sizes, to make just about any cutter you need. if I remember correctly when you are using a grinder on the lathe, the spindles turning should turn opposite each other, so the grinding wheel won’t dig into piece part. Not as sharp as I used to be 76 years young today. Still enjoy playing with this stuff.
          Gene.

I got a couple of bits with the lathe, and my favorite one is a round nose one…… especially
          on brass and aluminum. I have some blanks, and I should be practicing grinding one
          to use up against shoulders. I also have a cheap kit, with five different angled bits
          with inserts.
          The Dremel stone and needle in the lathe were turning opposite directions. I wonder if
          they sell Dremels with “reverse”? Plan B was to run the lathe in reverse, but luckily that
          wasn’t necessary.
          I hope I’m still playing in the garage at 76…… will let you know in 12 years!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.