Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 20 fuel tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What kind of gasket material would I use for this tank?  Cork coated with Seal All?

IMG_6286

Is there some kind of gasket that goes here?

IMG_6315
      IMG_6316

outboardnut
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
        davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not sure what you are pointing to there, Outboardnut.  I don’t see a fuel tank gasket offered.

The Boat House
          Participant

Click on the search icon and type in “gas tank”
            Contact Russ with questions..
            Tubs

https://martinoutboards.com/product/204045-split-tank-gasket-sets-2-gaskets/

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dang it.  I thought I tried that and got no result.  Thanks Tubs, and Outboardnut.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

David, how did you get your tank apart? I have one I tried to open
                up a while back, but put it on hold as it wasn’t cooperating.
                My next plan was to throw it in the barbeque grill, but
                it got “put aside”.  Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc, I started this project a couple of years ago and I forget how I got it to split but I’ve done it twice.

IMG_6323-2

Got all the screws out, above and below?  Heat gun?

IMG_6327

I found pieces of the old gasket and the gasket that goes around the hole for the needle valve

IMG_6325
                  IMG_6326

2 users thanked author for this post.
                  jimk
                  Participant

I have one that could use new gaskets but afraid to tackel it. paint and decals are in good shape and afraid I will mess it up! Some day maybe. I replaced the pump and gave it a carb kit and runs great but will be watching this post for info on getting it to split.

rpsiii
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good Morning David!

This is the 3 piece gasket set Russ Larson sells for the 20 tank. I have had great success using Larsons 2 and 3 piece tank gasket sets on the 20s and 40/45s.

Russ recommends using a light coat of “High Tack” spray gasket sealant on his tank gaskets. NAPA/PERMATEX type stuff.

Also using 22 “alignment pins” (which look a lot like 10-24 screws with the heads cut off) screwed into the threaded part of the two gasket areas allows you to keep all the gaskets in place as you are putting the two tank parts together as there will come a point when you really can’t see either gasket and it’s holes. Kinda gives you the confidence that nothing slid out of place. Now you can pull the “alignment pins” out one by one and replace with the original screws. “Alignment pins” that I use are about 7/8″ long.

Anyway, hope the attached picture is decent!

Respectfully,

Bob (In Sunny Southern Maine!)20220124_104557

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      davidk
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s very helpful information, Bob.  I always think of you when I start messing with Martins because of the great guidance you gave me all those years ago when we first met on the Cathance River.

Are your alignment pins threaded? Maybe you can post a closeup photo? I wonder how you get them in and out without the head?  Surprised you didn’t use shear pins : )

Thanks for chiming in, Bob.  Hey, got a lower rear cowl in your parts pile, right back there behind the crate of hen’s teeth?  I’ve got the front lower.  The missing piece probably won’t bother me until I need to go in reverse.

-David

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.