Home Forum Ask A Member Merc 4 & 6 cylinder distributor drives

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gents,
      As you know the distributor drive assembly on 4 & 6 cylinder motors have a shaft & two bearings retained by brass fingers. They must be bent up to R & R the bearings. Problem is where the factory pressed these fingers down left a small machining crease in the fingers. These are the first fracture point when bent back up. My Mk 30 dist drive has no fingers left.
      I was thinking of using Locktite red either 222 or 224 on the housing to secure the new bearing.
      Anyone try this?

foot_doctor
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Jeff, several years ago, when i was assembling 4cylinder engines for several boat racing friends, I repaired one of those drives. It was missing all of the “fingers”. I slipped the brass sleeve up by the length of the fingers. Then I sawed some appropriate slits lengthwise, and retained the new bearing, and rbent the exterior fingers over the washer to contain the rotating mag mount to the exterior housing. I believe i loosened the sleeve by turning away the retaining dimples on the sleeve on my lathe, and then refastening it in it’s new location by redimpling. That’s what I remember, but it was in the mid seventies, and the memory dims. If you do some preventiv maint. on those drives, you may not need to replace the bearings. As I recall, Mercury assembled them with Shielded ball bearings. They are only good as long as the lubricant lasts, and they leak past the shields. We relubricated them frequently by flowing 80-90 gear oiil pst the shield. It didn’t requir much oil, but we never had another failure, even though they spent some time underwater when the rigs upended in the races. If you don’t plan on racing the engine, I might suggest trying a sealed bearing. It will exhibit some parasitic drag, but that won’t matter in pleasure service. Have fun boating. R.T.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

R.T.
          Thank you sir! I will employ your method!
          Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.