Home Forum Ask A Member merc 650 tune

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wrenchero
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

hello, my friend just bought a 1963 mfg with a 1963 merc 650,he got it to start but it wont idle.we are going to work on it on saturday.he doesnt have a manual yet.does anyone have service manual info on adjusting idle and timing.or suggestions.thanks.

mn

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

call me 1 914 310 7086 Dave.

wrenchero
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thanks. ill call you tomorrow

mn

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wrenchero,
            Yes call Dave!! Dave knows these motors backwards & forwards. Dave helped me build my first Merc years ago, & it still runs well!!

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is how I would approach it, in general:
              1 Check compression. Easier said than done on cylinder #4 because of the lower cowl. They had a special, small, screw-in gauge that fit in there.
              2 Drain and fill the gear case. Mercs built prior to 1976 had steel shafts that rusted, causing the oil seals to fail, water intrusion into the gear case and subsequent gear case failure.
              3 check the spark. You should have a gigantic whack on all four.
              4 Clean the carbs. Again, easier said than done on this engine, as the mag is in the way. Drop it out of the way using quarter-inch drive sockets, extensions and a flex joint.
              5 Replace the water pump impeller, if you are still good at this point. Any of those Merc impellers are suspect if more than two years old. They might start out okay and then fail in a heart beat.

Good-running, strong engine, when it’s right.
              If it has been in salt water, do not pass go; give it to a scrapper. Save the ignition parts, though. They are hard to come by.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.