Home Forum Ask A Member Merc Mark 7

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    cark-k
    Participant

My brother bought this Merc Mark 7 for me this morning in Northern NJ. It looks to be in great shape, compression etc but has crud in the tank. I would appreciate any help in determining where to start with getting her running. This is my first vintage Mercury so I don’t want to mess it up, could use some information on the motor, year etc. Thanks, Carl

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

the guy sold it out from under me. I was picking it up tues AM.
        call me for info 1 914 310 7086.
        557618- 56417- 1953
        761134- 762112- 1954
        825148- 825417- 1955
        check impeller check coils and points and condensors clean fuel system

Doug Wilson
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

just finished one up yesterday clean the tank out if it is too bad put some super clean and small chain in and shake around then let soak few min shake again and dump it rinse well with water couple of times if still has gunk repeat. replace fuel filter take carb off and clean well and coat float with clear fuel resistant airplane dope replace gaskets on carb check coils clean and adjust points . replae impeller and put fresh lube in lower unit.
          to start out idle screw about 3/4 from lightly seated and high speed about 1 then fine tune on boat

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
          turned off?

cark-k
          Participant

Thanks! Are impeller’s available if needed?

Doug Wilson
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

check with marine engine or vintage outboards think my carb kit and impeller came from vintage outboard. fuel filter came from old mercs
              mine stars on the first pull real pleased with it may take getting used to not having reverse or neutral .

Doug

turned off?

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member
                quote ddwilson:

check with marine engine or vintage outboards think my carb kit and impeller came from vintage outboard. fuel filter came from old mercs
                mine stars on the first pull real pleased with it may take getting used to not having reverse or neutral .

Starts first pull??? WOW nice motor…lol

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

cark-k
                Participant

Is the fuel filter in the tank? Thanks for all the info.

Doug Wilson
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The filter is in the tank it is attached to the hex fitting that the fuel line comes out through. Takes a large wrench and should come out some of the original filters swell up and do not want to come out. They will but takes some work. When you order a filter order the gaskets for the tank too not very expensive but worth replacing while it is apart.

Doug

turned off?

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Richard yes it turned out to be a nice motor. May end up repainting the tank and lower shroud eventually but will enjoy it the way it is this fall.

Doug

turned off?

cark-k
                      Participant

Thanks. I’ll have to pick-up an 1"-1/8th socket to break the nut loose. The tank has a thick black coating inside, got some of it out with a coat hanger with a gas soaked rag attached but cant get to the front of the tank. All the gas line fittings were completely blocked. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.